What is the various function block in a grid tie VAWT system?

In summary, the router box is used to connect the wind turbine and inverter in a VAWT system, allowing for data sharing. The 20A DP Isolator serves as a safety measure, disconnecting the system from the grid in case of a fault. The AC power outlets supply power to the system and allow for monitoring of energy consumption.
imso

Homework Statement

Hi, i don't know really am i suppose to ask here but I've still try! I'm actually required to do a report on grid-tie VAWT system which i have taken some pictures (attached file below) on the installation site.

But I'm quite puzzled with the picture pertaining the "Router Box", "20A DP Isolater" and "AC Power Outlets" what is its place in the VAWT system and its function?

The Attempt at a Solution

• CYTRON 2kW Wind Power Generator
• Windy Boy Protection Box 400 (AC-DC Converter)
• Damp Load
Router Box (What is this for in the function block of a VAWT system??)
• 20A DP Isolater (My guess is a "DC Disconnect")
• GINLONG Grid-Tie Inverter
• AC Power Outlets (My guess is a "AC Disconnect")
• Power Metering Panel

Attachments

• 2012-01-10 10.00.57.jpg
    2012-01-10 10.00.57.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 347
  • 2012-01-10 10.00.50.jpg
    2012-01-10 10.00.50.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 354
  • photo_1.jpg
    photo_1.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 354
Physics news on Phys.org
(Data Logging)The router box is an electrical device that connects two networks together, allowing information to be shared between them. It can be thought of as a bridge between two or more networks. In the case of the VAWT system, it could be used to connect the wind turbine and the inverter to share data, such as the amount of energy produced by the turbine. The 20A DP Isolater is a DC disconnect that disconnects the inverter from the grid when it senses a fault in either the system or the grid. This ensures that no dangerous currents flow through the system and into the grid, which could cause serious damage. The AC power outlets are used to supply power from the grid to the system. They are typically connected to the main panel of the home, allowing the homeowner to monitor how much energy is being consumed and make sure that the system is getting enough power.

Related to What is the various function block in a grid tie VAWT system?

1. What is a grid tie VAWT system?

A grid tie VAWT system is a type of wind energy system that is designed to connect to the electrical grid and supplement the power supply of a building or community. It uses a vertical axis wind turbine (VAWT) to convert wind energy into electricity, which is then fed into the grid.

2. What are the various function blocks in a grid tie VAWT system?

The various function blocks in a grid tie VAWT system include the wind turbine, generator, power electronics, and grid connection. The wind turbine captures the wind energy and rotates the blades, which then turns the generator to produce electricity. The power electronics convert the electricity into the correct form for grid connection, and the grid connection allows the electricity to be fed into the grid.

3. How does a grid tie VAWT system differ from other types of wind energy systems?

A grid tie VAWT system differs from other types of wind energy systems in the type of turbine used. VAWTs have a vertical axis, which allows them to capture wind from any direction, unlike traditional horizontal axis wind turbines. Additionally, grid tie systems are designed to connect directly to the electrical grid, whereas other systems may have battery storage or be used for off-grid applications.

4. What are the advantages of using a grid tie VAWT system?

There are several advantages to using a grid tie VAWT system. Firstly, VAWTs are generally quieter and have a smaller footprint compared to traditional horizontal axis turbines. They also have a lower cut-in speed, meaning they can start generating electricity at lower wind speeds. Additionally, grid tie systems allow for the excess electricity to be fed into the grid, providing a potential source of income for the owner.

5. What are the main challenges of implementing a grid tie VAWT system?

One of the main challenges of implementing a grid tie VAWT system is ensuring compatibility with the local grid. The system must meet certain technical requirements and regulations to safely connect to the grid. Additionally, the location and wind conditions must be carefully considered to ensure the system is efficient and effective. Maintenance and potential noise concerns may also need to be addressed in certain areas.

Back