What is the vector function for the intersection of a cone and a plane?

In summary: I misunderstood what you were asking. In summary, you need to set x = cos(t) and y = sin(t) in order to solve for z.
Yae Miteo

Homework Statement

"Find a vector function that represents the curve of intersection of the two surfaces."

Homework Equations

Cone: [tex]z = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2}[/tex] Plane: [tex]z = 1+y[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I began by setting [tex]x=cos t[/tex], so that [tex]y = sin t[/tex] and [tex]z = 1+sin t[/tex]. At this point, however, I am stuck. I think I need to set something equal to something else, but I am not sure what.

Physics news on Phys.org
[strike]You have 2 equations in 3 variables and you want to get 3 equations in 4 variables. This means you can only introduce one new equation where your new variable will appear. Otherwise you will have 4 equations in 4 variables and you no longer have the one degree of freedom required to get a curve. Here you have introduced two new arbitrary equations. Try just setting x = t and then try to express y and z in terms of just t.[/strike] Sorry, I thought you arbitrarily set y = sint, but it seems that you just made a calculation mistake (because you write "so that y = sint", which is wrong). It will be much easier if you just set x = t and then you solve y and z in terms of x (=t).

Last edited:
Do you have any particular reason for setting [itex]x= cos(t)[/itex] and [itex]y= sin(t)[/itex]?
Surely, not from the first equation?

If you set [itex]x= cos(t)[/itex] and [itex]y= sin(t)[/itex] then you are saying that [tex]z= \sqrt{sin^2(t)+ cos^2(t)}= 1[/tex] for all t- and that is NOT true.

The obvious thing to do, since [itex]z= \sqrt{x^2+ y^2}[/itex] and [itex]z= 1+ y[/itex], is to set [itex]x+ y= \sqrt{x^2+ y^2}[/itex]. Then, after squaring both sides, [itex]1+ 2y+ y^2= x^2+ y^2[/itex] so that [itex]2y= x^2- 1[/itex] and [itex]y= (1/2)x^2- (1/2)[/itex].

Now, let x= t as the parameter.

Likes 1 person
Awesome! Thank-you.

Nevermind my previous post (deleted).

Related to What is the vector function for the intersection of a cone and a plane?

1. What is a vector function intersection?

A vector function intersection is the point or points at which two or more vector functions intersect or cross each other. Vector functions are mathematical functions that take in a vector input and output a vector. The intersection of these functions is where their outputs are equal.

2. How is a vector function intersection calculated?

To calculate a vector function intersection, you must set the two vector functions equal to each other and solve for the variables. This will give you the coordinates of the point or points where the two functions intersect. You can also graph the functions and visually determine the intersection point.

3. What does the intersection of two vector functions represent?

The intersection of two vector functions represents the solution to a system of equations. This means that the values of the variables at the intersection point make both functions true. In geometric terms, the intersection represents the point where two lines or curves cross each other.

4. Can there be more than one intersection point for two vector functions?

Yes, there can be more than one intersection point for two vector functions. This can happen when the two functions have multiple solutions that satisfy their equations. In this case, there will be multiple points where the functions intersect and share the same output value.

5. How is vector function intersection used in real life?

Vector function intersection has many applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics. In engineering, it can be used to find the point of collision between two moving objects. In physics, it can be used to calculate the trajectory of a projectile. In computer graphics, it is used to create 3D models and animations by determining the intersection of various vector shapes.