What is the velocity and direction of a transverse wave on a string?

In summary, a transverse wave travels on a string with a mass density of    kg/m. The displacement of the wave is given by D(x,t) = 1.5sin(3x-24t+90°), and the velocity can be found by taking the partial derivatives with respect to x and t and applying them to the wave equation. The velocity can be described as v=sqrt(-864sin(-24t)/(-13.5sin(3x))). For a particle located at x=8 and t=1, its speed can be found by differentiating the displacement function with respect to time and evaluating at the given point. It is important to double check the math of
dwn

Homework Statement

A transverse wave travels on a string whose mass density is    kg/m.
The displacement (in meters) is given as a function of time and position as:

D(x,t) = 1.5sin(3x-24t+90°)

What is the velocity and direction of the wave?
What is the speed of the particle located at x=8 and t=1?

Homework Equations

Derivatives of the former.

[tex]∂^2D/∂t^2=v^2(∂^2D/∂x^2)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the partial derivatives with respect to both x and t. Applied them to the wave equation. But I don't understand how I'm supposed to get any figures to answer the questions above.

[tex]v=sqrt(-864sin(-24t)/(-13.5sin(3x))[/tex] ----> not sure what I do after this point.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the definition of velocity in terms of the position function?

I'm not entirely sure the question makes sense. Perhaps a) was looking for the speed and direction of the propagating wave?

In this case you could use the wave equation you mentioned to work out the speed. As far as direction goes, it's a one dimensional transverse wave without boundary conditions, so you just have to state along which axis it's headed.

For b), a particle located on the string would have a motion described by the displacement function directly, so simply differentiating that expression with respect to time and evaluating at the point given should yield the particle speed.

I would double check your math on those partial derivatives though: even without evaluating at any point, all of your trig functions should vanish and leave you with a speed based on the coefficients you pull out using the chain rule.

Related to What is the velocity and direction of a transverse wave on a string?

1. What is the "Sin Equation for Waves"?

The Sin Equation for Waves is a mathematical equation that describes how a wave behaves in a given medium. It is expressed as y = Asin(kx - ωt + φ), where y is the displacement of the wave, A is the amplitude, k is the wave number, x is the position, ω is the angular frequency, t is the time, and φ is the phase constant.

2. What is the significance of the Sin Equation for Waves?

The Sin Equation for Waves is significant because it allows us to analyze and predict the behavior of waves in different mediums. It is used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and geology, to study and understand wave phenomena, including sound waves, light waves, and seismic waves.

3. How is the Sin Equation for Waves derived?

The Sin Equation for Waves is derived from the general wave equation, which describes the relationship between the wave's displacement, velocity, and acceleration. By applying certain assumptions and boundary conditions, the general wave equation can be simplified to the Sin Equation for Waves.

4. What are the key parameters in the Sin Equation for Waves?

The key parameters in the Sin Equation for Waves are the amplitude, wave number, angular frequency, and phase constant. These parameters determine the shape, size, and behavior of the wave, including its maximum displacement, wavelength, frequency, and phase shift.

5. Can the Sin Equation for Waves be applied to all types of waves?

Yes, the Sin Equation for Waves can be applied to all types of waves, including mechanical waves (e.g. sound waves, water waves) and electromagnetic waves (e.g. light waves, radio waves). However, the specific values of the parameters may differ depending on the type of wave and the medium through which it is traveling.