What is the Velocity of a Ball Thrown Vertically Upward at a Height of 96 Feet?

• Thread starter morphine
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the velocity of a ball thrown vertically upward when it is 96 feet above the ground. The solution involves using the position equation to find the time when the ball is at 96 feet, and then plugging that time into the velocity equation to get a velocity of 16 ft/sec on the way up or -16 ft/sec on the way down.
morphine

Homework Statement

If a ball is thrown vertically upward with a velocity of 80 ft/sec,
then its height after t seconds is given by
s = 80t - 16t2
. What is the velocity of the ball
when it is 96 feet above the ground on its way up?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found my way to s'(t) = -16h -32t + 80
which I believe to be right. But now I'm not sure what to do. Do I need to find the second derivative?

Physics news on Phys.org
Where does 16h come from in your equation for s dot? You just need to solve for the time when the ball is at 96 feet.

Where did you get the -16h term in s'(t)?

My intermediate step is: (-16t^2 - 32th - 16h^2 + 80t + 80h + 16t^2 - 80t) / h

Then I cancel out like terms, factor out the h and cancel it. Then I'm left with s'(t) = -16h -32t + 80.

Where have I gone wrong?

You forgot that the derivative is the limit as h approaches 0.

You left out the most important part of your limit definition!

Argh, it's these little things that kill me in math!

So the h term becomes 0, so:

s'(t) = 80 - 32t

But I'm still unclear how I get the velocity at 96 feet. I recognize that the velocity is the slope of the tangent line but... Oh wait 32 would be the slope of that line, correct? So the answer is -32??

First you have to solve the position equation for t, then find the velocity at that t.

Use the formula for s(t) to find the time t when s(t) is equal to 96. Then substitute that time into your formula for s'(t) - the velocity.

For example (and these aren't the right numbers) suppose you found that s(t) = 96 for t = 12 sec. Then you would evaluate s'(12) to get the instantaneous velocity at t = 12 sec.

Not getting anywhere with that, sorry I need another hint.

All I've been able to come out with are answers that don't make sense.

By the way, it's multiple choice, and the possible answers are: 80, -80, 32, 16, -16 feet/sec

Show us what you're trying to do and we'll set you straight.

OK.

96 = 80t - 16t^2
96 / 16 = (80t -16t^2) / 16
6 = 5t - t^2
y = -t^2 + 5t +6
y = -1(t + 2)(t + 3)

soooo t = -2 or -3?

I feel like I am going about this the wrong way... Plugging either of those in gets a number above 100.

morphine said:
OK.

96 = 80t - 16t^2
96 / 16 = (80t -16t^2) / 16
6 = 5t - t^2
So far, so good, but you're making this harder than it should be. I would have written 16t^2 - 80t + 96 = 0 as my 2nd equation here. Then I would divide by 16 on both sides to get
t^2 - 5t + 6 = 0.
This factors to (t -3)(t - 2) = 0, so t = 2 or t = 3.
morphine said:
y = -t^2 + 5t +6
Where did y come from?
morphine said:
y = -1(t + 2)(t + 3)

soooo t = -2 or -3?

I feel like I am going about this the wrong way... Plugging either of those in gets a number above 100.

From my work above, the times when the ball is at 96 ft are t = 2 and t = 3. Use your formula for velocity (s'(t)) to find the velocity at these two times. You should find that the two velocity values are numerically equal but opposite in sign.

Right you are, so I get 16 on the way up or -16 on the way down. Thanks for your help!

Be sure to include units - ft/sec.

FAQ: What is the Velocity of a Ball Thrown Vertically Upward at a Height of 96 Feet?

1. What is the purpose of Calculus I?

Calculus I is an introductory course that focuses on the fundamental concepts and techniques of differential and integral calculus. It is essential for students pursuing degrees in math, science, engineering, or any field that involves quantitative analysis.

2. What are some of the key topics covered in Calculus I?

Some of the key topics covered in Calculus I include limits, derivatives, and integration. These concepts are used to understand and solve real-world problems involving rates of change, optimization, and area/volume calculations.

3. How is Calculus I different from high school math?

Calculus I is a more advanced course that introduces new concepts and requires a deeper understanding of mathematical principles. It also involves more abstract thinking and problem-solving skills compared to high school math.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong background in algebra and trigonometry for Calculus I?

Yes, a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry is essential for success in Calculus I. Many of the concepts in Calculus I build upon these topics, so it is important to have a solid understanding of them before taking the course.

5. How can I prepare for Calculus I?

To prepare for Calculus I, it is recommended to review algebra and trigonometry concepts, as well as practice solving problems involving these topics. It may also be helpful to familiarize yourself with the basic concepts of limits and derivatives. Additionally, having a positive attitude and a willingness to learn and ask questions can greatly benefit your success in the course.