What is the velocity of the block when it reaches the equilibrium position?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an unusual spring with a force law given by F = -cx^3 to launch a block across a frictionless surface. The spring is initially compressed by 0.500 m and has a constant of c = 600 N/m^3. Using the equations for SHM, the initial acceleration is found to be -25m/s^2 and the maximum speed at the equilibrium position is 3.54 m/s. However, the actual answer is 2.50 m/s, and the conversation suggests using conservation of energy to solve the problem. By calculating the work done by the spring and equating it to the kinetic energy of the block, the correct answer of 2.50
paul11

Homework Statement

This was a question on my 2nd midterm that I am still curious about.

An unusual spring has a force law given by F = -cx^3 where x is in meters, F is in Newton's, and c has units of N/m^3.

The spring is used to launch a 3.00 kg block across a horizontal frictionless surface. If c = 600 N/m^3 and the spring is initially compressed by 0.500 m, what will the velocity of the block be when it reaches the equilibrium position?

Homework Equations

F = ma
x(t) = Acos(ωt)
v(t) = -Aωsin(ωt)
a(t) = -A(ω^2)cos(ωt)

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I find the acceleration with the equation ma = -cx^3 (with the direction positive to the left of the equilibrium position) during initial position because that is where maximum acceleration occurs. I get a value of a = -25m/s^2.

I plug this into the a(t) = -A(ω^2)cos(ωt) with t = 0, and I get a value of ω = 7.071.

Now since I have ω, I can use v(t) = -Aωsin(1) to find maximum speed which occurs at the equilibrium position. I get an answer of 3.54 m/s, which fits into one of the multiple choice questions.

The problem is that the actual answer is 2.50 m/s, and I have no idea what else I can do to solve this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Instead of trying to use the equations for SHM (do you think they apply?), use conservation of energy. What's the energy stored in the compressed spring?

By conservation of energy, all the spring potential turns to kinetic.

0.5cx^2 = 0.5mv^2

The c constant is given in N/m^3 though, and I don't how to convert that to N/m if it's possible.

I try to do that anyways and get a wrong value of v = 7.071, which is by coincidence (?) what I got for ω in my earlier attempt.

You missed Doc Al's point. You can't use your normal spring formulas because you're working with a non-standard spring. You need to go back to the basics.

This time, I'll use W = ∫Fdx

I find the integral of F, then I get a value of -9.375 for the area under the curve from x = 0 to x = 0.5 therefore ...

W = -9.375J

I'm not sure how to interpret the negative value, but I assume I just use the magnitude of it, and this all gets turned to kinetic energy when the spring reaches equilibrium position.

9.375J = 0.5(3.0kg)v^2
v = 2.5 m/s

Hmm I actually got it this time.. Sure wish I knew how to do integrals back then.

You calculated the work done by the spring as it was stretched, which is indeed negative. The potential energy of the spring is negative of the work done by the spring.

FAQ: What is the velocity of the block when it reaches the equilibrium position?

1. What is SHM with unusual spring?

SHM (Simple Harmonic Motion) with unusual spring refers to the oscillatory motion of an object attached to a spring that does not follow Hooke's law. This means that the force exerted by the spring is not directly proportional to the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position.

2. How does SHM with unusual spring differ from regular SHM?

The main difference between SHM with unusual spring and regular SHM is the behavior of the spring. In regular SHM, the spring follows Hooke's law and the force is directly proportional to the displacement. However, in SHM with unusual spring, the force may not be directly proportional to the displacement, resulting in a different oscillatory motion.

3. What are some examples of unusual springs?

Some examples of unusual springs include non-linear springs, such as a rubber band or a bungee cord, which do not follow Hooke's law. Other examples include springs with varying stiffness or springs that have a different material composition.

4. How does the behavior of the spring affect the SHM motion?

The behavior of the spring directly affects the frequency and amplitude of the SHM motion. In regular SHM, the frequency and amplitude are constant, but in SHM with unusual spring, they may vary depending on the characteristics of the spring. The motion may also be more complex and not as predictable.

5. What are the applications of studying SHM with unusual spring?

Studying SHM with unusual spring can help scientists and engineers better understand the behavior of different materials and their effects on oscillatory motion. It has practical applications in fields such as mechanical engineering, materials science, and physics, where understanding the dynamics of springs is crucial.

Back