What is the voltage across the capacitor plates?

In summary, a 15μF capacitor, connected to a 55V battery and fully charged, has a charge of Q=CV. With the battery removed and the circuit left open, a slab of dielectric material with a dielectric constant of 4.8 is inserted to completely fill the space between the plates. Using the formula V=Q/C*k, the voltage across the capacitor plates is found to decrease to approximately 11V.
shashaeee
A 15μF capacitor is connected to a 55V battery and becomes fully charged. The battery is removed and the circuit is left open. A slab of dielectric material is inserted to completely fill the space between the plates. It has a dielectric constant of 4.8. What is the voltage across the capacitor plates after the slab is in place?

I used the formulas:

Q = CV

and

V = Q / C*k

Am I in the right direction? =/

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes but would be better to show more of the working. For example by quoting the equation for a flat plate capacitor

C=E0Era/d

and explaining that the charge is constant.

shashaeee said:
A 15μF capacitor is connected to a 55V battery and becomes fully charged. The battery is removed and the circuit is left open. A slab of dielectric material is inserted to completely fill the space between the plates. It has a dielectric constant of 4.8. What is the voltage across the capacitor plates after the slab is in place?

I used the formulas:

Q = CV

and

V = Q / C*k

Am I in the right direction? =/

It depends upon how and when you apply them :wink: Why not take a shot at a solution so we can see what you have in mind?

Also, try to get in the habit of using parentheses to clarify ambiguous orders of operations in your ascii formulas. For example, is the second equation V = (Q/C)*k, or V = Q/(C*k) ?

Thanks for the replies!
Please correct me if I'm wrong

So first, I used the formula Q=CV to look for the charge of the capacitor connected to the 55V battery. Since the battery is removed, the charge Q remains the same right? Now when the dielectric material is inserted to fill the space, capacitance increases and with the equation Cinitial = Q/V, voltage should decrease ...?

So, basically, I did C*K because capacitance increases by a factor K, then looked for the new voltage: V = Q/Cfinal

Am I making any sense? lol

It looks like you've got the right idea. What is your numerical result?

mhmm, I have around 11V ... I hope that's correct =/

shashaeee said:
mhmm, I have around 11V ... I hope that's correct =/

It's in the right neighborhood, yes.

Thanks for your help!

Related to What is the voltage across the capacitor plates?

1. What is voltage?

Voltage is a measure of the electrical potential difference between two points in an electrical circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and is represented by the symbol V.

2. What are capacitor plates?

Capacitor plates are two metal plates that are separated by a dielectric material. They are used to store electrical charge and are a key component in many electrical circuits.

3. How is voltage measured across capacitor plates?

Voltage across capacitor plates is measured using a voltmeter or multimeter. The voltmeter is connected to the two capacitor plates and the reading indicates the voltage difference between them.

4. What affects the voltage across capacitor plates?

The voltage across capacitor plates is affected by the capacitance of the capacitor, the amount of charge stored on the plates, and the voltage of the power source connected to the capacitor.

5. Why is the voltage across capacitor plates important?

The voltage across capacitor plates is important because it determines the amount of energy that the capacitor can store and the rate at which it can charge and discharge. This makes it a crucial factor in the functioning of many electrical devices and circuits.