What is the volume of a torus revolved around a line?

In summary, the torus is a big pain to do by either the "disk/washer" method or the "cylindrical shell" method. Either way, you want to keep in mind that you are taking your radius measurement from x = 3, so you have to modify your result from the equation for the circle appropriately. To integrate only the volume of the portion above the x-axis, then double it, you would use x =\pm \sqrt{4-y^2} and you want both signs of the square root. The washer method looks worse to set up, but the integral reduces to something similar.
c-murda
volume of the torus, by revolving around line x = 3 inside circle x^2 + y^2 = 4

i got x = sqrt(y^2 - 4)

and what would

v = ?

Physics news on Phys.org
The torus is a big pain to do by either the "disk/washer" method or the "cylindrical shell" method. Either way, you want to keep in mind that you are taking your radius measurement from x = 3, so you have to modify your result from the equation for the circle appropriately.

It's a good idea to draw a picture of what you are planning to integrate, in order to get the integrand and limits set up correctly. You can also remove one headache by integrating only the upper half of the torus and then doubling the result.

Have you had Pappus' Theorem? That makes very short work of a toroid volume problem like this one.

we are not looking for the area though we are looking for the volume of the solid that would be produced. would doubling your results work seeing as it is like a doughnut, doesn't the outer region contribute more to the inner region, towards the volume?

I mean to integrate only the volume of the portion above the x-axis, then double it. (And I was talking about the volume.) Having written up a solution to a similar problem, I would say that the disk/washer method is less trouble to set up, but the integration for either isn't too hard.

If you do use the washer method, you will need to use both signs of the square root from x to get the outer and inner radii.

so this was a test question today and i didn't get it luckily it was only 8 out of ten problems andi omitted that one

but i did attempt it and put

∫2pi(3-x)(sqrt(4-Y^2)ddx

And that integral is the result from integrating the volume of the "upper half" of the torus, because the square root will only provide a positive height for the cylindrical shell (except that 'Y' should also be an 'x'). The radius of the shell is 3-x , the height above the x-axis is [tex]\sqrt{4-x^2}[/tex], so the complete volume integral is

[tex]V = 2 \int_{-2}^{2} 2\pi (3-x) \sqrt{4-x^2} dx[/tex]

(your choice of whether to attach the '2' to the square root or put it out in front to get the full height of the shells), which becomes

[tex]V = 4\pi \int_{-2}^{2} (3-x) \sqrt{4-x^2} dx[/tex] .

The integral will have two terms, but since the function [tex]x \sqrt{4-x^2} [/tex] has odd symmetry and we are integrating symmetrically about the y-axis, the second integral term is zero, reducing our labor to

[tex]V = 12\pi \int_{-2}^{2} \sqrt{4-x^2}dx [/tex] ,

which, after a trig substitution, gives us [tex]V = 12\pi \cdot 2\pi = 24\pi^{2} [/tex] .

The washer method looks worse to set up, but the integral reduces to something similar. We would use [tex]x =\pm \sqrt{4-y^2}[/tex] and we want both signs. The inner radius of the washer will be 3 minus that square root, the outer radius, 3 plus that radical, and -- again integrating only the "upper half" of the torus -- the volume is

[tex]V = 2 \int_{0}^{2} \pi [(3 + \sqrt{4-y^2})^2 - (3 - \sqrt{4-y^2})^2 ] dy[/tex] ,

which algebraically simplifies to

[tex]V = 2\pi \int_{0}^{2} 12\sqrt{4-y^2} dy = 24\pi \cdot \pi[/tex]

I went and looked it up and now I understand why you asked me why I was talking about surface area. My apologies: I find that I should have said "Pappus' Second Theorem" or "Pappus' Centroid Theorem". (A lot of calculus books I've come into contact with never mention the First Theorem, so I forgot about that one...) The Centroid Theorem says the volume of the solid of revolution equals the area of the revolved closed curve times the circumference of the path covered by the curve's centroid. We have a circle of radius 2 and center at the origin being carried around the line x = 3, so the volume is just

[tex]V = (\pi \cdot 2^2) \cdot (2\pi \cdot 3) = 24\pi^{2}[/tex]

Last edited:
thank you so much i realized my error of my y being a x after submitting it...oh well...

anyways i did only integrate the top half and multiply by 2 resulting in 4pi but i didn't take into consideration the odd symmetry (damn! that would make it so much easier)

lol thanks for your help

c

c-murda said:
anyways i did only integrate the top half and multiply by 2 resulting in 4pi but i didn't take into consideration the odd symmetry (damn! that would make it so much easier)

I mentioned the odd symmetry because the circumstances permit applying it and because I really hate going to the trouble of working out an indefinite integral, only to find on evaluating it that the whole #(%@! thing cancels out!

FAQ: What is the volume of a torus revolved around a line?

1. How do I find the volume of a solid object?

To find the volume of a solid object, you will need to measure its dimensions (length, width, and height) using a ruler or measuring tape. Then, use the formula V = lwh, where V is volume, l is length, w is width, and h is height.

2. Can I use the same formula to find the volume of any solid object?

Yes, the formula V = lwh can be used to find the volume of any solid object, as long as you have accurate measurements for its dimensions.

3. What if the shape of the solid object is irregular?

If the shape of the solid object is irregular, you can still use the formula V = lwh as long as you can approximate the length, width, and height of the object. Alternatively, you can use more advanced mathematical equations, such as the integration method, to find the volume of irregular objects.

4. How do I convert the volume to different units of measurement?

To convert the volume to different units of measurement, you can use conversion factors. For example, to convert cubic inches to cubic centimeters, you can use the conversion factor 1 inch = 2.54 centimeters. Multiply the volume in cubic inches by this conversion factor to get the volume in cubic centimeters.

5. Can I find the volume of a liquid using the same method?

No, the method for finding the volume of a solid object is different from finding the volume of a liquid. To find the volume of a liquid, you will need to use a graduated cylinder or other measuring device specifically designed for liquids.

Back