What is the volume of compressed dry steam from 1 bar to 4 bar isothermally?

• Thread starter naim
  • Start date
In summary, to calculate the dimensional change of an electric motor winding expansion fitted into its housing, you can use the equation ∆L/L = α∆T, where α is the linear thermal expansion coefficient. In this case, the coefficient is 12x10^-6 per degree. To solve for ∆T, you need to know the initial length L, the change in length ∆L, and the coefficient α. You can rearrange the equation to solve for ∆T, and then use that value to determine the temperature to which the housing must be raised. In the second problem, the volume of dry steam is compressed isothermally from 1 bar to 4 bar, with an initial volume of
naim

Homework Statement

i came across this question while revising, can someone talk me through it please. I need to calculate the dimensional change.

The stator of an electric motor winding is to be expansion fitted into its housing. if the diameter of the stator at 20 degrees C is 150.1 mm and the diameter of the housing is at 20 degrees C is 150 mm, determine the temperature to which the housing must be raised to facilitate the assemble.

The coefficient is 12x10 ^-6 degrees

Homework Equations

∆L/L = α∆T, α is linear thermal expansion coef

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You are given L, α and ∆L is something you can calculate (how much stretching do you need?). Then use that equation to solve for ∆T.

do you mind showing me how to do it ? with a different question perhaps? i have just started to learn and I am not very good at maths

Hi naim! http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

You provided this equation: ∆L/L = α∆T, α is linear thermal expansion coef
and you said The coefficient is 12x10 ^-6 degrees

I think the coefficient of linear expansion should be expressed "per degree", i.e., 12x10 ^-6 /degree
and you should have been told whether Celcius or Farenheit

So the first step into fill in the information you know:
L =
∆L =
α =
∆T =

If necessary, convert the above to standard units because equations always require that the data be expressed in standard units.

Next, re-arrange the equation so the unknown quantity is on one side by itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks dude :)

can someone help me with this ?

Dry steam is compressed isothermally from a pressure of 1 bar to 4 bar. if the initial volume is 0.5 m^3, calculate the volume of the steam after compression

Related to What is the volume of compressed dry steam from 1 bar to 4 bar isothermally?

1. What is the best way to ask for help with a question?

The best way to ask for help with a question is to be specific and provide as much information as possible. This will help others understand your question and provide a more accurate answer.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills when facing difficult questions?

One way to improve problem-solving skills is to practice regularly and challenge yourself with new and difficult questions. You can also seek guidance from others who are experienced in the field or subject matter.

3. What resources should I use when I need help with a question?

There are many resources available for help with questions, such as online forums, tutoring services, textbooks, and study groups. It is important to find the resource that best suits your needs and learning style.

4. How can I ensure that I understand the answer to a question I received help with?

To ensure understanding, it is helpful to ask follow-up questions and try to explain the answer in your own words. You can also practice similar problems on your own to solidify your understanding.

5. Is it okay to ask for help with a question that I don't fully understand?

Yes, it is absolutely okay to ask for help with a question that you don't fully understand. Seeking help is a sign of a willingness to learn and improve, and it can lead to a better understanding of the topic.