What Is the Volume of Dry Hydrogen Gas at STP?

In summary, to find the volume of a dry gas at STP, you can use the equation P1V1/T1 = P2V2/T2, where P1 is the initial pressure, V1 is the initial volume, T1 is the initial temperature (in Kelvin), P2 is the final pressure (1 atm for STP), and T2 is the final temperature (273 K for STP). In this example, we used a 32.0 mL sample of hydrogen collected over water at 20°C and 750.0 torr pressure. By subtracting the vapor pressure of water at 20°C (17.5 torr) from the total pressure, we found the dry pressure to be 732
gurerd

Homework Statement

A 32.0 mL sample of hydrogen is collected over water at 20°C and 750.0 torr pressure. What is the volume of the dry gas at STP? (vapor pressure of water at 20°C = 17.5 torr)

Homework Equations

Ptot = Pdry + Pwet

P1V1/T1 = P2V2/T2

The Attempt at a Solution

Pdry = Ptot - Pwet = 750 - 17.5 = 732.5 torr

V1 = P2V2T1/P1T2 = (732.5 torr)(32 mL)(298K)/(760 torr)(293 K) = 31.3 mL

The answer in the answer key gives 28.7 mL

Physics news on Phys.org
What is STP?

STP is standard temperature and pressure -- which I used
T = 25.0 °C ( 298 Kelvin) and
P = 1 atm of pressure (760 torr)

Did I use these in the correct variables? Perhaps that is where I am confused?

gurerd said:
STP is standard temperature and pressure -- which I used
T = 25.0 °C ( 298 Kelvin) and
P = 1 atm of pressure (760 torr)
That's SATP. STP is T = 0°C.

Ah, what a silly mistake. It works out now!

Thanks so much DrClaude! I appreciate your time.

gurerd said:
Ah, what a silly mistake. It works out now!
You would be surprised how commen this mistake is. This is probably what SteamKing was alluding to. the main problem is that most thermodynamic is for 298 K, but STP was defined as 273 K.

gurerd said:
Thanks so much DrClaude! I appreciate your time.
You're welcome!

Related to What Is the Volume of Dry Hydrogen Gas at STP?

1. What is a partial gas law problem?

A partial gas law problem is a type of problem in which one or more variables of the ideal gas law, such as pressure, volume, or temperature, are held constant while solving for another variable. This type of problem is commonly used in chemistry and physics to study the behavior of gases.

2. How do I solve a partial gas law problem?

To solve a partial gas law problem, you will need to use the appropriate equation from the ideal gas law and plug in the given values for the constant variables. Then, solve for the unknown variable using basic algebra or a calculator. It is important to pay attention to units and use the correct gas constant for the units given in the problem.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a partial gas law problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a partial gas law problem include using the wrong equation, not paying attention to units, and not using the correct gas constant. It is also important to double check calculations and make sure all variables are accounted for in the final answer.

4. Can a partial gas law problem be solved without using the ideal gas law?

No, a partial gas law problem cannot be solved without using the ideal gas law. This law describes the relationship between pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of a gas at a constant temperature and is necessary for solving any gas law problem.

5. Are there any real-world applications of partial gas law problems?

Yes, partial gas law problems have many real-world applications. For example, they can be used to calculate the pressure inside an aerosol can, determine the volume of a gas in a scuba tank, or predict the behavior of gases in a chemical reaction. They are also important in understanding the properties of the Earth's atmosphere and the behavior of gases in weather patterns.