What is the Volume of the Solid Generated by Revolving a Triangular Region?

In summary, the volume of the solid generated by revolving the triangular region bounded by the lines y= 2x, y= 0 and x= 1 about the line x= 1 is given by the formula V= \pi \int_{y = 0}^{2} [1- y/2]^{2}dy. The thickness of each disk is dy, not dx, and the limits of integration are y = 0 and y = 2. This results in a volume of 7\pi/12, which can also be verified using the formula for the volume of a cone with a base radius of 1 and a height of 2.
Precursor

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid generated by revolving the triangular region bounded by the lines [tex]y= 2x[/tex], [tex]y= 0[/tex] and [tex]x= 1[/tex] about the line [tex]x= 1[/tex].

Homework Equations

[tex]V= \int A(x)dx = \int \pi[R(x)]^{2}dx[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the disk method, in which I found the radius of the solid. I found the radius to be [tex]1- y/2[/tex].

[tex]V= \int \pi[1- y/2]^{2}dx[/tex]
By the way, the upper limit is 1 and the lower limit is 0. I don't know how to put that in latex.

So I got an answer of [tex]7\pi/12[/tex]. Am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Any ideas?

Precursor said:

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid generated by revolving the triangular region bounded by the lines [tex]y= 2x[/tex], [tex]y= 0[/tex] and [tex]x= 1[/tex] about the line [tex]x= 1[/tex].

Homework Equations

[tex]V= \int A(x)dx = \int \pi[R(x)]^{2}dx[/tex]
The formula above is relevant only if your disks run horizontally. That is, if the line through their centers is horizontal.
Precursor said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the disk method, in which I found the radius of the solid. I found the radius to be [tex]1- y/2[/tex].

[tex]V= \int \pi [1- y/2]^{2}dx[/tex]
By the way, the upper limit is 1 and the lower limit is 0. I don't know how to put that in latex.
The thickness of each disk is dy, not dx. This means that the disks range between y = 0 and y = 2, not x = 0 to x = 1. Here is your integral with limits of integration. Click on the integral expression to see how to incorporate limits of integration. Also, it's usually a good idea to move constants such as pi outside the integral.
[tex]V= \pi \int_{y = 0}^{2} [1- y/2]^{2}dy[/tex]
Precursor said:
So I got an answer of [tex]7\pi/12[/tex]. Am I right?
The solid is a cone whose base has a radius of 1 and whose height is 2. There is a formula for the volume of a cone. You can use this formula to verify that your answer is correct.

FAQ: What is the Volume of the Solid Generated by Revolving a Triangular Region?

What is a volume of revolution problem?

A volume of revolution problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the volume of a three-dimensional object that is created by rotating a two-dimensional shape around a specific axis.

What are the steps to solve a volume of revolution problem?

The steps to solve a volume of revolution problem are:

1. Identify the axis of rotation.
  2. Determine the boundaries of the shape being rotated.
  3. Use the appropriate formula to find the volume of the solid.

What are the common shapes used in volume of revolution problems?

The most common shapes used in volume of revolution problems are circles, rectangles, and triangles. However, any shape can be used as long as it follows a continuous curve and has a defined boundary.

What is the difference between a solid of revolution and a shell of revolution?

A solid of revolution is a three-dimensional object created by rotating a two-dimensional shape around an axis, while a shell of revolution is a hollow three-dimensional object created by rotating a two-dimensional shape around an axis.

What are some real-world applications of volume of revolution problems?

Volume of revolution problems have many real-world applications, such as calculating the volume of a water tank, determining the amount of material needed to create a cylindrical container, or finding the volume of a cone-shaped container for ice cream. They are also used in physics and engineering to calculate the volume of rotating objects and in calculus to find the volume of irregular shapes.

Back