What is the volume under a sphere and above a plane?

In summary, the problem involves finding the volume under a sphere with radius r and above a plane at height a, using the equation V = ∫∫z dx dy over the region R. The solution involves finding the intersection of the two surfaces and using polar coordinates to simplify the integral. The final formula for the volume is (2R^3-3a*R^2+a^3)*pi/3.
usfrbrpl

Homework Statement

Find the volume under the sphere x^2+y^2+z^2=r^2 and above the plane z=a, where 0<a<r

Homework Equations

x^2+y^2+z^2=r^2 is the equation of a sphere with radius r centered at the origin

z=a is the equation of a plane with height a parallel to the xy plane

V = ∫∫z dx dy over the region R

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged z=a into the equation of the sphere x^2+y^2+z^2=r^2 to find where the two surfaces intersected. I got x^2+y^2=r^2-a^2. I also solved the original sphere equation for z to get z=(r^2-x^2-y^2)^.5, taking the positive root because the volume lies above the z axis.

V=∫∫zdxdy, I plugged in z=(r^2-x^2-y^2)^.5 to get ∫∫((r^2-x^2-y^2)^.5)dxdy

I solved for x in the intersection equation above to get my bounds of integration x=(r^2-a^2-y^2)^.5 and x=-(r^2-a^2-y^2)^.5

I set x=0 in the intersection equation above and solved for y to get my bounds of integration y=(r^2-a^2)^.5 and y=-(r^2-a^2)^.5

I put the above bounds next to their respective integral signs in the volume equation and put it in my calculator. It spit back a nasty looking formula at me, with sin(infinity) as part of the equation, so I think I did something wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
You want the volume above z = a so your integrand should be zupper- zlower so you need to subtract a from the integrand.

Next, I would use R instead of r as the radius of the sphere and change your dydx integral to polar coordinates. That way you won't confuse the radius of the sphere with the r in polar coordinates. It will simplify your integral a lot but may not make it that much easier to integrate.

Thanks, I managed to get:

V = ∫∫r((R^2-r^2)^.5-a)drdθ with bounds of (R^2-r^2)^.5 to 0 on the dr and bounds of 2*pi to 0 on the dθ. Simplifying this gives me (2R^3-3a*R^2+a^3)*pi/3. Thanks again for your help!

Related to What is the volume under a sphere and above a plane?

1. What is a double integral sphere/plane?

A double integral sphere/plane is a mathematical concept that involves integrating over a region in two dimensions. It is used to calculate the volume or surface area of a three-dimensional shape, such as a sphere or a plane, by breaking it down into small, infinitesimal pieces and summing them up.

2. What is the difference between a double integral sphere and a double integral plane?

The main difference between a double integral sphere and a double integral plane is the shape of the region being integrated over. In a double integral sphere, the region is a three-dimensional sphere, while in a double integral plane, the region is a two-dimensional plane. This difference also affects the limits of integration and the type of equations used.

3. What is the formula for calculating a double integral sphere/plane?

The general formula for calculating a double integral sphere/plane is ∫∫f(x,y) dA, where f(x,y) is the function being integrated, and dA represents the infinitesimal area element. The limits of integration will depend on the shape of the region being integrated over, and the specific function being integrated.

4. What are the applications of double integral sphere/plane in science?

Double integral sphere/plane has many applications in science, particularly in physics and engineering. It is used to calculate the volume and surface area of complex shapes, such as spheres and planes, which are commonly found in real-world problems. It is also used to calculate moments of inertia, center of mass, and other physical quantities that require integration over a region.

5. What are some common techniques for solving double integral sphere/plane?

Some common techniques for solving double integral sphere/plane include using polar or spherical coordinates, applying the change of variables formula, and using symmetry to simplify the integral. Other techniques, such as integration by parts or using trigonometric identities, may also be useful depending on the specific function being integrated.

Back