What Is the W Boson and Its Role in Beta Decay?

In summary, beta decay is a process in which a neutron turns into a proton, and the boson that mediates this process is the W vector boson. The W vector boson is created during beta decay, and its role is to change the flavor of quarks. Thanks for reading!
stochastic
So I was reading about beta decay and they talk about the 2 forms W- and W+ but what i don't understand is what is the boson doing before this happens? I thought a proton or a neutron were made with gluons and 3 quarks? Is it that the boson is created during beta decay and if not what is its function before beta decay?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bosons mediate the nuclear weak force, hence the big W. There are two kinds W+ positive and W- negative (it's anti-particle and vice-versa). There is also a third neutral boson Z0. Their mass is huge compared to other particles, even protons, that's why the range of weak nuclear force is very short and weak.

Bosons can actually change the flavor of quarks. During beta decay, weak nuclear force is responsible for converting a neutron to a proton and emitting an electon.

It's created. Heuristically, you can think of the process (at leading order!) as this: first, a down quark emits a W- boson, turning into an up quark. (And thus changing the neutron into a proton.) The W- boson then decays into a pair of particles, either a neutrino/electron pair or a quark/antiquark pair.

eg,

http://universe-review.ca/I15-06-betadecay.gif

Here is a nice explanation of beta decay from wiki,

"This process is mediated by the weak interaction. The neutron turns into a proton through the emission of a virtual W− boson. At the quark level, W− emission turns a down-type quark into an up-type quark, turning a neutron (one up quark and two down quarks) into a proton (two up quarks and one down quark). The virtual W− boson then decays into an electron and an antineutrino."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta_particle

How the weak force is really hard to imagine, we do not have an analogy in classical physics. So sometimes we really need to think quantum mechanical, and that is quite hard because of lack of analogy with our daily life =)

stochastic said:
So I was reading about beta decay and they talk about the 2 forms W- and W+ but what i don't understand is what is the boson doing before this happens? I thought a proton or a neutron were made with gluons and 3 quarks? Is it that the boson is created during beta decay and if not what is its function before beta decay?

The role of the W vector boson has been explained to you. I just wanted to point out thet protons and neutrons are made up by valence quarks (the three constituent quarks) and dynamical quarks (virtual quark-anti quarkpairs that exist for a short amount of time). Gluons are the force carriers of the strong force, so therefore they do not make up protons and neutrons !

marlon

thanks all

Related to What Is the W Boson and Its Role in Beta Decay?

1. What is the W boson?

The W boson is a subatomic particle that is responsible for the weak nuclear force. It is one of the fundamental particles in the Standard Model of particle physics.

2. How was the W boson discovered?

The W boson was discovered in 1983 by researchers at CERN using the Super Proton Synchrotron. They were able to observe its decay products in high-energy collisions.

3. What is the role of the W boson in beta decay?

The W boson is involved in beta decay, a type of radioactive decay where a neutron in an atom's nucleus decays into a proton, an electron, and an antineutrino. The W boson carries away the weak charge and mediates the transformation of the neutron into a proton.

4. What are the properties of the W boson?

The W boson has a mass of approximately 80 GeV/c² and a spin of 1. It also has a positive or negative charge, depending on whether it is a W+ or W- boson.

5. What is the significance of the W boson in our understanding of the universe?

The W boson, along with the other fundamental particles in the Standard Model, helps us understand the fundamental interactions and building blocks of the universe. Its discovery and study have led to a deeper understanding of the weak nuclear force and the role it plays in the structure of matter.