What is the wave speed in the bridge?

In summary: This gives a velocity of 86.8 m/s. In summary, the wave speed in the pedestrian bridge in England is 86.8 m/s.
CMATT

Homework Statement

A certain pedestrian bridge in England resonates like a string fixed at both ends. If the bridge is 73.0 m long and its fundamental resonance is at 0.600 Hz, what is the wave speed in the bridge?

Homework Equations

Velocity = (frequency)(wavelength)

The Attempt at a Solution

wavelength = 73.0 m
frequency = .600 Hz
velocity = find it

v = (.600)(73.0)
v = 43.4 = 44 m/s

I got this wrong on my hw, I thought this was how to do it? Could someone please show me what I am doing wrong?
Thank you for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
CMATT said:

Homework Statement

A certain pedestrian bridge in England resonates like a string fixed at both ends. If the bridge is 73.0 m long and its fundamental resonance is at 0.600 Hz, what is the wave speed in the bridge?

Homework Equations

Velocity = (frequency)(wavelength)

The Attempt at a Solution

wavelength = 73.0 m
frequency = .600 Hz
velocity = find it

v = (.600)(73.0)
v = 43.4 = 44 m/s

I got this wrong on my hw, I thought this was how to do it? Could someone please show me what I am doing wrong?
Thank you for your help
Note that the fundamental resonance is not the same thing as frequency.

Multiply by 2.

The "fundamental resonance" is when the bridge is resonating at only half a wavelength. To correct for this to find the velocity, multiply the length of the bridge by 2.

Related to What is the wave speed in the bridge?

1. What is wave speed?

Wave speed is the speed at which a wave travels through a medium. It is usually measured in meters per second (m/s).

2. How is wave speed calculated?

Wave speed is calculated by dividing the wavelength of the wave by its period. The wavelength is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of the wave, and the period is the time it takes for one complete cycle of the wave.

3. What factors affect wave speed in a bridge?

The material of the bridge, the density and temperature of the surrounding air and water, and the shape and size of the bridge can all affect wave speed. Additionally, any obstacles in the path of the wave can also impact its speed.

4. Why is wave speed important in bridges?

Wave speed is important in bridges because it affects the structural integrity and stability of the bridge. If the wave speed is too high, it can cause excessive vibrations and potentially damage the bridge. Engineers must take wave speed into consideration when designing bridges to ensure their safety.

5. How do scientists measure wave speed in bridges?

Scientists typically use instruments such as seismometers or accelerometers to measure wave speed in bridges. These instruments can detect and record the vibrations caused by waves and provide data on the speed and intensity of the waves.