What is the Wavelength of a Helium-Neon Laser Beam in an Unknown Liquid?

In summary, the wavelength of the helium-neon laser beam in the unknown liquid is 633 nm, the same as in air. The speed of light in the liquid can be calculated using the index of refraction equation, and the frequency can be found using the wave relationship. The wavelength in the liquid can then be determined by rearranging the equation v=fλ. It is important to use units consistently throughout the calculations.
frederickcan

Homework Statement

A helium-neon laser beam has a wavelength in air of 633 nm. It takes 1.38 ns for the light to travel through 30 cm of an unknown liquid. What is the wavelength of the laser beam in the liquid?

Homework Equations

n=c/v
d=rt

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I'm having difficulty understanding how to calculate what the wavelength of the laser beam in the liquid is. In my attempt I tried using the index of refraction equation to determine the speed of light in the material (unknown liquid). Since, the question provided a time and distance I thought using the distance formula to find the speed would help too.

First, I converted the 30 cm to m, which gave me 0.3m.
Second, I plugged the given values into the distance formula. 0.3m= r(1.38ns) => 0.21739..
Third, I plugged the values into the index of refraction equation... n=3.0x10^8/0.21739
Now, I'm stuck. I'm not sure how to figure out the second wavelength. Do I incorporate the 633nm somehow?

(Any help would be immensely appreciated.)

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're going to rely on units, then you need to use units everywhere, not just somewhere. What is 0.21739? What are the units?

Otherwise, you're on the right track. You need to answer this question: how much does the frequency of the light in the liquid differ from the freqency of the light in air. Then, use the wave relationship: fλ=v.

Wait a minute you're right, I made a unit error.

If I convert the ns to s, and then proceed with the process it should make a difference in my answer.

So, if 0.3m/1.38s = 0.21739m/s <= that would be my speed of light in the material.
Then, I could figure out the frequency using the wavelength relationship. f=633 x 10^-9/0.21739m/s
Lastly, I could figure out the wavelength.
I think I may get this afterall.(Thank you for your help!)

Last edited:
You still have a unit error. Check again how much time the light takes to travel through the liquid.

frederickcan said:
If I convert the ns to s, and then proceed ...

Good idea. Try doing that conversion again.

Remember that the frequency of light doesn't change when the light enters a different medium. Since v=fλ and v=c/n, what must λ be?

Related to What is the Wavelength of a Helium-Neon Laser Beam in an Unknown Liquid?

1. What is light?

Light is a form of electromagnetic radiation that is visible to the human eye. It is made up of tiny particles called photons that travel in waves.

2. What is the index of refraction?

The index of refraction is a measure of how much a material can slow down the speed of light passing through it. It is a dimensionless quantity that is unique to each material.

3. How is the index of refraction calculated?

The index of refraction is calculated by dividing the speed of light in a vacuum by the speed of light in the material. This ratio is represented by the symbol "n" and is always greater than 1.

4. How does the index of refraction affect the path of light?

The index of refraction determines how much the path of light will bend when it passes through a material. This bending is known as refraction and can be seen when light passes through a lens or a prism.

5. What factors can affect the index of refraction?

The index of refraction can be affected by several factors, including temperature, pressure, and the wavelength of the light being passed through the material. It can also vary depending on the type of material and its composition.