What is the wavelength of the helium-neon laser beam in the liquid?

In summary, the wavelength of a helium-neon laser beam in an unknown liquid can be found by using the equation v = wavelength * frequency. However, in the given attempt at a solution, there were errors in converting units and calculating the frequency, resulting in an incorrect answer. Careful attention to units and calculations is necessary to arrive at the correct answer.
usctrojans

Homework Statement

A helium-neon laser beam has a wavelength in air of 633nm. It takes 1.38 ns for the light to travel through 30cm of an unknown liquid.
What is the wavelength of the laser beam in the liquid? (IN NM)

Homework Equations

v=wavelength*frequency
v= d/t

The Attempt at a Solution

First i found the frequency (since its the same in each medium) by v=wavelength*f
I used the speed of light as v and the 633nm so 3.0e10^8=wavelength(633).. i get 819672.1311
I have the distance and the time of the unknown liquid.. so i figure i can find v of the material by v=d/t
I convert 30cm to nm (cause it wants the answer in nm) so its 300000000nm/1.38ns=217390000
v=wavelength*frequency using my new v and the constant f --> 217390000/819672.1311=265nm
The answer was wrong. I'm wondering if I made a mistake with converting or in my calculations.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums.
usctrojans said:

The Attempt at a Solution

First i found the frequency (since its the same in each medium) by v=wavelength*f
I used the speed of light as v and the 633nm so 3.0e10^8=wavelength(633).. i get 819672.1311
There are a couple of problems in this last step.
First, it should be
3.0e8 m/s = 633nm x frequency​
Also the frequency you got is wrong (wrong number, plus the units are missing)

I have the distance and the time of the unknown liquid.. so i figure i can find v of the material by v=d/t
I convert 30cm to nm (cause it wants the answer in nm) so its 300000000nm/1.38ns=217390000
v=wavelength*frequency using my new v and the constant f --> 217390000/819672.1311=265nm
The answer was wrong. I'm wondering if I made a mistake with converting or in my calculations.
Looks like you have the right idea, just need to get that frequency calculation to start things off right. It's a little difficult to follow when you don't include units with the values.

FAQ: What is the wavelength of the helium-neon laser beam in the liquid?

1. What is a helium-neon laser?

A helium-neon laser is a type of gas laser that produces a beam of light with a specific wavelength by exciting a mixture of helium and neon gas atoms.

2. What is the wavelength of a helium-neon laser beam?

The wavelength of a helium-neon laser beam is typically around 632.8 nanometers in air, or 633 nanometers in vacuum.

3. How is the wavelength of a helium-neon laser beam determined?

The wavelength of a helium-neon laser beam is determined by the energy levels of the excited helium and neon atoms and by the length of the laser cavity.

4. Why is the wavelength of a helium-neon laser beam important?

The wavelength of a helium-neon laser beam is important because it determines the color of the light produced, which can be used for various applications such as scientific research, medical procedures, and barcode scanners.

5. Does the wavelength of a helium-neon laser beam change in different environments?

Yes, the wavelength of a helium-neon laser beam can change slightly depending on the density and composition of the medium it is passing through. For example, it may be slightly shorter in air than in vacuum.

Back