What is the wavelength of the x-rays in the direct beam?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Compton's effect formula to determine the wavelength of scattered x-rays at a 45-degree angle from the beam direction. The formula uses the scattered and original wavelength, along with constants like Planck's constant and the mass of the electron, which are independent of the target material. The target source is not relevant as long as the photon interacts with it and creates a recoiling electron.
asdf1
for the following question:
a beam of x-rays is scattered b a target. At 45 degrees from the beam derection the scattered x-rays have a wavelength of 2.2pm. What is the wavelength of the x-rays in the direct beam?

my problem:
the question doesn't specify what the target is...
so what are you supposed to plug in for the compton's wavelength if you the compton effect formula?

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't you just use the expression:

[tex]\lambda[/tex]-[tex]\lambda_0[/tex] = ([tex]h/m_ec[/tex])*(1-cos([tex]\theta[/tex]))

Where [tex]\lambda[/tex] is the scattered wavelength and [tex]\lambda_0[/tex] is the original wavelength. The term [tex]h/m_ec[/tex] is the comptom wavelength and you can just check that value in your book no doubt. So the target source is irrelevant for this problem (I think).

Last edited:
for the term, [tex]h/m_ec[/tex],
doesn't m depend on the target?

Nope it doesn't depend on the material at all. [tex]h[/tex] is Planck's constant, [tex]c[/tex] is the speed of light and [tex]m_e[/tex] is the mass of the electron, which are all independent of the target material. You can calculate its value based on that information, or you can look in your book and it should give an accepted value for the compton wavelength ([tex]h/m_ec[/tex]).

@@
i think i don't get the formula thoroughly... i thought the x-rays were supposed to hit the target, and get scattered by it~
unless the target is the electron, why's [tex]m_e[/tex] the mass of the electron?

Okay you have your x-rays which are incident on a target source. The incident x-rays have a wavelength [tex]\lambda_0[/tex]. Now what happens is that the x-ray is scattered from an electron in the target source. The scattered x-ray has a new wavelength [tex]\lambda'[/tex]. Now in this process there is also a recoiling electron, which has the compton wavelength [tex]\lambda_c = h/m_ec[/tex]

so it doesn't matter what the target is...
whatever target the photon hits will send off an electron?

Yeah if the photon does interact with the target source there will always be a recoiling electron in order to be consistent with the fact that energy and momentum are conserved.

i understand it a whole better~
thank you very much for explaining! :)

FAQ: What is the wavelength of the x-rays in the direct beam?

1. What is the definition of wavelength?

Wavelength is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs in a wave. In other words, it is the length of one complete cycle of a wave.

2. How is wavelength measured?

Wavelength is typically measured in units of length, such as meters or nanometers. In the case of x-rays, their wavelength is typically measured in angstroms (Å), where 1 angstrom is equal to 0.1 nanometers.

3. Why is the wavelength of x-rays important in scientific research?

The wavelength of x-rays is important because it determines the resolution of images produced by x-ray imaging techniques such as x-ray crystallography and x-ray diffraction. A shorter wavelength means a higher resolution and the ability to see smaller details in the image.

4. How does the wavelength of x-rays compare to that of visible light?

The wavelength of x-rays is much shorter than that of visible light. While visible light has wavelengths in the range of 400-700 nanometers, x-rays have wavelengths in the range of 0.01-10 nanometers.

5. Can the wavelength of x-rays be changed?

Yes, the wavelength of x-rays can be changed by adjusting the energy of the x-ray beam. This can be done using filters or by adjusting the voltage of the x-ray source.

Back