What is the weight needed to push water through a pipe?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculations and formulas needed to determine the amount of weight required to push all the water from a 10cm diameter cylinder, 10cm deep, into a 1cm diameter pipe and up 20cm into another receptacle. The key factor is the pressure at the bottom of the pipe, and the weight needed will vary depending on the level of water in the cylinder.
Baxidur
Hi

Finding it hard to find exact information on the maths and forces behind this on the internet, (maybe my search terms to blade)

If I have a 10cm diamter cylinder that's 10cm deep and filled with water and a piston (weightless piston for the example) at the top and a 1 cm diameter pipe running from the base, how much weight would I have to place on the piston to push all of the water 20cm high into another recepticle?

Thanks in advance for anyone that can answer this, Also the formulas required to calculate it would be great

Baxidur

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming you know some classical mechanics, first calculate the mass of the water from its density and volume, then figure out how much force is needed to "beat" gravity in this case.

very basic mechanics so here goes

(rounded for ease)

785 cubic centimetres
0.785 kilograms of mass

Finding hard to find gravitys specific force online

Also doesn't pascals law and the surface area of piston come in somewhere?

There seems to be important information missing. What shape is the second receptacle and how exactly is it positioned in relation to the first? E.g. is it the same shape, with its base 20cm higher? Or a very much wider vessel?
The reason you need to know is that a weight sufficient to start the transfer might not be enough to complete it. This gets very complicated if we have to take into account the momentum in the water.
So I'll answer a simpler question for now...
Suppose the second vessel is like the first, 20cm higher, and take the pipe to be very narrow (so no momentum to worry about).
To get the flow started, you just need the pressure at the bottom of the first cylinder to exceed that needed to support a 20cm column. You have 10cm of pressure coming from the water in the first vessel, so you only need an extra 10cm worth from the weight. I.e. the weight would need to equal the weight of the water.
But as the flow continues, you're getting less help from the weight of water in the first vessel and more push back from that in the second. At the end, you're having to push water up 30cm with no help at all, so you now need 3 times the weight.
Thinking about it some more, I suspect that the second vessel is irrelevant: the pipe rises 20cm and all you are intended to do is push all of the water into the pipe (with it overflowing from the top).

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply

Yeah, sorry I didn't make that clear, I've attached a diagram

Thanks again

Attachments

• water.jpg
    water.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 649
Last edited:
OK, so the details of the second vessel are irrelevant. It will never exert any pushback on the water. All that matters is pushing the water to the top of the pipe.
As I said, the key thing to consider is the pressure at the bottom of the pipe. For the water to be reaching the top of the pipe this must be at least the equivalent of 20cm of water (the height of the pipe). At first, the water in the first vessel supplies 10cm of pressure, so you need another 10cm pressure from the weight. This means the weight will be the same as the weight of the water, π/4 kg.
But as the water level in the first vessel goes down, the extra weight needed will increase. Strictly speaking, we'd have to take into account the momentum of the water flowing in the pipe, which all gets pretty complicated; but if we assume it flows arbitrarily slowly then we can just consider the static position when the first vessel is almost empty. At this point the weight on top is getting no help from the weight of water and has to supply the entire 20cm of pressure. Hence the weight needed will be twice as much, π/2 kg.

Related to What is the weight needed to push water through a pipe?

1. How is force used to lift water?

Force is used to lift water by applying a downward force on one end of a lever or pulley system, causing the other end to rise and lift the water. This force is typically generated by human or mechanical power.

2. What factors affect the force needed to lift water?

The weight of the water, the height it needs to be lifted, and the efficiency of the lifting mechanism are all factors that affect the force needed to lift water. Additionally, the force must be greater than the weight of the water for it to be lifted.

3. How is the force calculated for lifting water?

The force needed to lift water can be calculated using the formula F = m x g, where F is the force in Newtons, m is the mass of the water in kilograms, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). This formula takes into account the weight of the water and the force needed to overcome gravity.

4. Can different types of force be used to lift water?

Yes, there are various types of force that can be used to lift water, including mechanical force generated by machines or human force generated by pulling or pushing on a lever or pulley system. Gravity can also be used to create force when water is lifted using a siphon or other natural means.

5. How does the force used to lift water impact the amount of work done?

The amount of work done is directly related to the force used to lift the water. The greater the force, the more work is done to lift the water to a certain height. This is because work is equal to the force applied multiplied by the distance moved in the direction of the force.