What is the Weyl symbol and its relation to the propagator in QFT?

In summary: The Weyl symbol is found in quantum field theory, and is a mathematical representation of the wavefunction of a particle. The integral representation is found in quantum mechanics, and is a way of representing the wavefunction of a particle over a small area.
maverick280857
Hi everyone,

In chapter 5 of Lewis Ryder's book on QFT, the expression for the propagator as a path integral is derived. Equation 5.7, which is the expression for the propagator over a small path [itex](q_{j+1} t_{j+1};q_{j}t_{j})[/itex], reads

[tex]\langle q_{j+1} t_{j+1} |q_{j}t_{j}\rangle = \frac{1}{2\pi\hbar}\int dp \exp{\left[\frac{i}{\hbar}p(q_{j+1}-q_j)\right]} - \frac{i\tau}{\hbar}\langle q_{j+1}|H|q_{j}\rangle[/tex]

where [itex]\tau = t_{j+1}-t_{j}[/itex]. This expression holds quite generally, but equation 5.13, which reads

[tex]\langle q_{f} t_{f} |q_{i}t_{i}\rangle = \int \frac{\mathcal{D}q\mathcal{D}p}{h}\exp{\frac{i}{\hbar}\left[\int dt p\dot{q}-H(p,q)\right]}[/tex]

is derived under the assumption that H is of the form

[tex]H = \frac{p^2}{2m} + V(q)[/tex]

This allows us to express the propagator as a function of the action S[q(t)] in the above expression.

But what if H is not of this form? What does the propagator look like there? I suppose it depends on the specific case (the author points out one example of a Lagrangian [itex]L = f(q)\dot{q}^2/2[/itex] which requires the introduction of an effective action different from [itex]\int L dt[/itex]), but are there any general rules or classes of systems where one can write the above expression, but which do not have the canonical form of H given above?

The author also states that Feynman began with the above expression for the propagator, which is not a very rigorous thing to do, given the counterexample in the previous paragraph.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I got a partial answer on page 281 of Peskin and Schroeder.

In general the formula is correct if the classical H(p,q) is the Weyl symbol of the quantum hamiltonian, defined as

[tex]H(p,q)\equiv\int ds\,e^{ips/\hbar}\langle q{-}{\textstyle{1\over2}}s|\hat H|q{+}{\textstyle{1\over2}}s\rangle.[/tex]

I think Avodyne is correct, as p^2/(2m)+V(q) is not the most general Hamiltonian you can have. You should be able to have H(p,q)=ap^2+bp+pf(q)+V(q) for constants a, b and arbitrary function f(q). This ought to be the most general Hamiltonian that allows one to safely pass into the Lagrangian scheme. The only example of such a cross term pf(q) I can think of are in 3-gluon vertices in non-Abelian gauge theories (or just boson 3-vertices in general).

Last edited:
Thanks RedX and Avodyne.

Avodyne said:
In general the formula is correct if the classical H(p,q) is the Weyl symbol of the quantum hamiltonian, defined as

[tex]H(p,q)\equiv\int ds\,e^{ips/\hbar}\langle q{-}{\textstyle{1\over2}}s|\hat H|q{+}{\textstyle{1\over2}}s\rangle.[/tex]

Where can I read more about this Weyl symbol, and specially this integral representation?

Related to What is the Weyl symbol and its relation to the propagator in QFT?

1. What is the path integral method?

The path integral method is a mathematical technique used in quantum mechanics to calculate the probability of a particle moving from one point to another. It involves summing over all possible paths that the particle could take, taking into account the wave-like behavior of particles.

2. How does the path integral method differ from other approaches?

The path integral method differs from other approaches in that it takes into account the wave-like nature of particles, rather than treating them as classical particles with definite trajectories. It also allows for the inclusion of quantum effects, such as uncertainty and superposition, in the calculations.

3. What is the significance of the path integral method in physics?

The path integral method is significant in physics because it provides a unified framework for understanding the behavior of particles at both the quantum and classical levels. It has been used to solve a variety of problems in quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and field theory.

4. What are some common applications of the path integral method?

The path integral method has been applied to a wide range of problems in physics, including quantum field theory, condensed matter physics, and cosmology. It has also been used in other fields, such as economics and biology, to model complex systems.

5. Are there any limitations to the path integral method?

While the path integral method is a powerful tool for solving many problems in physics, it does have some limitations. It can be difficult to apply to systems with a large number of particles, and it may not always provide exact solutions. It is also subject to certain mathematical and conceptual challenges, particularly in the context of quantum gravity.