What is the work rate of an escalator lifting a woman from bottom to top?

• Thread starter nelly42688
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, the problem is asking for the rate at which an escalator, 30.0 meters long and moving at 1.00 m/s, does work in lifting a 50.0-kg woman from the bottom to the top. However, the given information does not specify the angle at which the escalator is slanted, making it difficult to solve. The provided equations do not seem to apply to this scenario, and the person asking for help is unsure of how to approach the problem. They are looking for guidance on how to get started.
nelly42688

Homework Statement

An escalator is 30.0 meters long and slants at relative to the horizontal. If it moves at 1.00 m/s, at what rate does it do work in lifting a 50.0-kg woman from the bottom to the top of the escalator

im not to sure on how to go about doing this problem, the question doesn't make logical sense since its an escalator without an angle... anyone have insight on this or am i just not seeing it.

Physics news on Phys.org
i no i didnt add anything except for the problem but any tips or help will push me off my feet because there's something i just don't see here

i geuss you would use teh equation .5mv^2 +mgh=.5mv^2 + mgh which tehre is no H in this case so it would bsaically be a standard
W=mg(hf-hi) which in this case would just be mg?

Last edited:
anyone know? i don't want you to do the problem for me just i need help getting started, I looked through my physics book and all my notes and i can't find a formula that would satisfy this.

FAQ: What is the work rate of an escalator lifting a woman from bottom to top?

1. What is the "Work escalator question"?

The "Work escalator question" is a hypothetical scenario used to illustrate the concept of socioeconomic mobility. It asks whether a person who works hard and makes all the right choices will inevitably move up the economic ladder, or if external factors such as race, gender, and socio-economic background can hinder their progress.

2. How is the "Work escalator question" relevant to society?

The "Work escalator question" is relevant because it addresses issues of inequality and social mobility, which are important topics in today's society. It highlights the complexities of success and how factors beyond an individual's control can impact their opportunities and outcomes.

3. Is there a definitive answer to the "Work escalator question"?

No, there is no definitive answer to the "Work escalator question." It is a thought-provoking scenario that encourages critical thinking and discussion about the various factors that influence an individual's success and mobility in the workforce.

4. How does the "Work escalator question" relate to the field of science?

The "Work escalator question" intersects with the field of science in various ways. It can be studied through social science research methods to better understand the impact of different factors on an individual's career trajectory. It also raises important questions about diversity and inclusion in scientific fields.

5. Can the "Work escalator question" be used to inform policy-making?

Yes, the "Work escalator question" can be used to inform policy-making in areas such as education, employment, and social welfare. It sheds light on the complex factors that contribute to socioeconomic mobility and can guide efforts to create a more equitable society.