What is the Young Modulus of Nylon Rope?

In summary, the person is seeking help with creating a stress/strain graph for a nylon rope and is wondering if someone could provide them with the necessary information or create the graph for them. They also ask for help in determining how much weight a rope can hold if someone falls off a 40m drop, and the responder suggests conducting an experiment with weights to determine the stiffness of the material.
silverfox2007

Homework Statement

The problem is that I do not have a way of making a nylon rope young modulus stress/strain graph I did not know is anyone would be able to help me obtain the information on the stress and strain or if your feeling really nice make me up a graph!

young modulus = stress
strain

thankyou to anyone who comes out with this answer

Physics news on Phys.org
I do not get what you are supposed to do...just draw a stress vs. strain graph for a nylon rope? As in get accurate values and draw or just make a general shape?

Whats this part of? You should be able to find values for the young modulus online (gradient of your graph) and I *think* it goes through zero.
If its a practical exercise or part of coursework, then do the experiment.. hehe.

A change of subject!

this is a bit of a change of question but last night I was a tad tired and didn't quite ask the right qestion. what I am trying to say is how do you work out how much a rope will hold if you fell off a drop of say 40m? I assume this is to do with young's modulus but I have trawlled the internet trying to find and answer

thanks

As YM is the same for any shape/size of material, why don't you conduct as experiment with the nylon and weights? YM will tlel you how stiff the material is i.e. the high the YM, the stiffer the material. E.g. carbon fibre has a YM of about 125 GPa, and it is very stiff in comparison to wood, which has a YM of about 11GPa.

FAQ: What is the Young Modulus of Nylon Rope?

1. What is the Young modulus of nylon rope?

The Young modulus, also known as the modulus of elasticity, is a measure of the stiffness or elasticity of a material. It represents the ratio of stress to strain in a material and is typically expressed in units of pressure, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or pascals (Pa).

2. How is the Young modulus of nylon rope determined?

The Young modulus of nylon rope can be determined by conducting a tensile test, in which a sample of the rope is pulled with a known force until it reaches its breaking point. The resulting stress and strain values are then used to calculate the Young modulus using the formula E = (stress/strain).

3. What factors can affect the Young modulus of nylon rope?

The Young modulus of nylon rope can be affected by various factors such as temperature, humidity, and the manufacturing process used to create the rope. Additionally, the age and condition of the rope can also impact its Young modulus.

4. What is the typical Young modulus of nylon rope?

The Young modulus of nylon rope can vary depending on the specific type and grade of nylon used, as well as the diameter and construction of the rope. However, on average, the Young modulus of nylon rope ranges from 4,000 to 12,000 psi.

5. How does the Young modulus of nylon rope compare to other materials?

The Young modulus of nylon rope is relatively high, making it a strong and durable material. However, it is not as stiff as materials such as steel or carbon fiber, which have higher Young moduli. Nylon rope is also more elastic than these materials, allowing it to stretch and absorb shocks better.