What is this breadboard looking thing called?

• Thread starter PainterGuy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Breadboard
In summary: Hi everyone,I'm looking for reasons why breadboard is called breadboard. Can anyone help?Many thanks,Sophie
PainterGuy
hi everyone,

would you tell me what is this breadboard looking thing called?

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/3985/breadboard.jpg

i searched for reasons why breadboard is called breadboard but did not find any answers. do you know reasons?

many thanks for any help you can give.

cheers

Engineering news on Phys.org
People used to build prototype circuits using a piece of board (hence 'breadboard) with nails or screws to support components and stop them skating around. We're probably talking Valves, here.

Bob S said:

many thanks sophiecentaur and Bob S.

Bob S i do not ask where i can find vreadboard!:smile: but thing in picture has so many other things on it. breadboard is only a part of this big thing.

i am grateful for your help. please keep helping me without confusing me.:smile:

cheers

The thing in the picture is a small 'development kit' for trying out simple circuits. It's got all you need. The components fit into the little holes ( suitable for DIL packages and discrete items). You can connect power and a meter to what you've designed and it's all in one place. It's a bit limited but much more convenient than solder and trailing wires. Much better than just a computer simulation, too.

i can't even find one at digi-key that has a built-in power supply. chances are it is either very old, homemade, or part of an educational lab somewhere.

Generally, these types of things are called prototyping boards, development boards, or development kits. They are common for building and testing microcontroller and mixed A/D circuits.

This one is probably some low-budget frankenstein of parts. Note how the DMM is unbranded, the breadboard has no line numbers, and one of the potentiometers is labeled "CLOCK PLUSE" (spelling error).

dudes. The guy just wants to know why they're called 'BREAD BOARDS'.

Go here for an image.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:1920s_TRF_radio_manufactured_by_Signal.jpg"

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to What is this breadboard looking thing called?

1. What is a breadboard?

A breadboard is a device used for prototyping and testing electronic circuits. It consists of a plastic board with a grid of holes where electronic components can be inserted and connected together without the need for soldering.

2. How does a breadboard work?

A breadboard works by using a series of metal clips and springs to make electrical connections between components. These connections can be easily changed and modified by inserting or removing components, making it ideal for experimenting and testing different circuit configurations.

3. What are the advantages of using a breadboard?

The main advantage of using a breadboard is its versatility and ease of use. It allows for quick and easy prototyping of electronic circuits without the need for specialized tools or soldering. It also allows for easy modification and testing of different circuit configurations.

4. Are there any limitations to using a breadboard?

One limitation of using a breadboard is that it is not suitable for high-frequency or high-voltage circuits. The metal clips and springs used to make connections can introduce resistance and capacitance, which can affect the performance of the circuit. Additionally, the connections on a breadboard are not as secure as soldered connections, so they may become loose or unstable over time.

5. What are some common uses for breadboards?

Breadboards are commonly used in electronics prototyping, testing, and educational settings. They are also used in DIY projects and for building simple electronic circuits. They are not typically used in final products or commercial applications due to their limitations and the need for more reliable and secure connections.