What is this figure meaning? (Ecology -- Punctuated Equilibrium)

In summary, the conversation was about a problem understanding Figure 3(b) in an article about the "punctuated equilibrium" concept. The figure and accompanying paragraph were unclear and the reader tried to access the article but was unsuccessful. Another link and a librarian's help were provided, but the reader still could not understand the figure or the authors' point.
Binvestigator

Homework Statement

As I reading this article I conflict with a problem, I never find the meaning of Figure 3(b).
the paragraph below the figure illustrated it but I couldn't find what it want to say.

every help will be a appreciated.

Miamusr.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Binvestigator:

Binvestigator said:
As I reading http://journals.aps.org/prl/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevLett.71.4083http://journals.aps.org/prl/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevLett.71.4083 article
The figure in your post and the paragraph describing it seem to me to be just as unclear as you found it. I tried to click on the link "this", but it failed to take me to the article. I edited the link address and the following seems to work better:
This only shows the abstract. Unfortunately, I do not have access to read the article.

You may find the following link of some use. It has a good discussion of the "punctuated equilibrium" concept.

Presumably the figure is intended to be evidence either supporting or refuting this concept. Perhaps the text of the article would clarify this.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz

Likes Binvestigator
Buzz Bloom said:
Hi Binvestigator:The figure in your post and the paragraph describing it seem to me to be just as unclear as you found it. I tried to click on the link "this", but it failed to take me to the article. I edited the link address and the following seems to work better:
This only shows the abstract. Unfortunately, I do not have access to read the article.

You may find the following link of some use. It has a good discussion of the "punctuated equilibrium" concept.

Presumably the figure is intended to be evidence either supporting or refuting this concept. Perhaps the text of the article would clarify this.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz
thanks very much dear Buzz, with below link you can have access to the article with sci-hub.org
http://journals.aps.org.sci-hub.org/prl/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevLett.71.4083

Binvestigator said:
http://journals.aps.org.sci-hub.org/prl/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevLett.71.4083
Hi Binvestigator:

Unfortunately when I try to access that link, I get a "Server not found" error.

Regards,
Buzz

Hi Binvestigator:

My town librarian was able to locate a copy of the article for me. I confess that after reading several pages near the Figure 3 you included in your post #1, I still am unable to understand what the horizontal lines in the figure represent, or what the authors are saying. My apologies. I wish you good luck in the course.

Regards,
Buzz

Buzz Bloom said:
Hi Binvestigator:

My town librarian was able to locate a copy of the article for me. I confess that after reading several pages near the Figure 3 you included in your post #1, I still am unable to understand what the horizontal lines in the figure represent, or what the authors are saying. My apologies. I wish you good luck in the course.

Regards,
Buzz
Thanks very much for your trying Dear Buzz

FAQ: What is this figure meaning? (Ecology -- Punctuated Equilibrium)

1. What is punctuated equilibrium in ecology?

Punctuated equilibrium is a theory in evolutionary biology that explains the pattern of evolution as consisting of long periods of stasis (little or no change) punctuated by short periods of rapid change.

2. How does punctuated equilibrium differ from gradualism?

Punctuated equilibrium differs from gradualism in that it suggests that evolution occurs in rapid bursts rather than gradually over time. This theory also proposes that most species undergo long periods of stasis, with little or no change, followed by short periods of rapid change.

3. What evidence supports the theory of punctuated equilibrium?

Some of the evidence that supports the theory of punctuated equilibrium includes the fossil record, which shows long periods of stasis followed by sudden bursts of rapid change, and studies of living species that demonstrate the same patterns of long periods of stasis and short periods of rapid change.

4. How does punctuated equilibrium explain biodiversity?

Punctuated equilibrium explains biodiversity by suggesting that new species arise through rapid bursts of evolution during periods of environmental change or stress. This allows for the formation of new species without requiring long periods of gradual change.

5. What are the criticisms of punctuated equilibrium?

Some of the criticisms of punctuated equilibrium include the lack of a clear mechanism for the rapid bursts of change, the difficulty in identifying stasis in the fossil record, and the potential for the theory to be misinterpreted as suggesting that evolution occurs in sudden jumps rather than a gradual process.

Back