What is this problem asking for?

• MHB
  • Thread starter kalish1
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is asking for a reparametrization to make the given system linear, and determining the transformation between solutions of the linear and nonlinear systems. This can be achieved by dividing the two equations in the system and setting the resulting expression equal to a constant.
kalish1
I would like to know what exactly this problem is asking for. Also, if I'm on the right track.

**Problem:** A model for transport of a solute (moles of salt) and solvent (volume of water) across a permeable membrane has the form $$\dot{W}=A(k-\frac{M}{W}),\dot{M}=B(k-\frac{M}{W})$$

where $k$ is a parameter representing the bulk solute concentration and $A$ and $B$ are [parameters that represent the permeability of the membrane.

(a) The water volume $W$ is a positive quantity. **Show that the system can be made linear by a reparametrization.** ??

(b) Determine the transformation between solutions of the linear and nonlinear systems.

What does it mean by transformation?

Thanks.

I have crossposted this question on: differential equations - What is this problem asking for? - Mathematics Stack Exchange

Physics news on Phys.org
kalish said:
I would like to know what exactly this problem is asking for. Also, if I'm on the right track.

**Problem:** A model for transport of a solute (moles of salt) and solvent (volume of water) across a permeable membrane has the form $$\dot{W}=A(k-\frac{M}{W}),\dot{M}=B(k-\frac{M}{W})$$

where $k$ is a parameter representing the bulk solute concentration and $A$ and $B$ are [parameters that represent the permeability of the membrane.

(a) The water volume $W$ is a positive quantity. **Show that the system can be made linear by a reparametrization.** ??

(b) Determine the transformation between solutions of the linear and nonlinear systems.

What does it mean by transformation?

Thanks.

I have crossposted this question on: differential equations - What is this problem asking for? - Mathematics Stack Exchange

I'd approach the problem like this, since both have a factor of [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} \left( k - \frac{M}{W} \right) \end{align*}[/tex], dividing gives

[tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{\frac{dW}{dt}}{\frac{dM}{dt}} &= \frac{A \left( k - \frac{M}{W} \right) }{ B \left( k - \frac{M}{W} \right) } \\ \frac{dW}{dM} &= \frac{A}{B} \\ \frac{dW}{dM} &= C \textrm{ where }C = \frac{A}{B} \end{align*}[/tex]

which is a(n almost trivially) linear ODE.

FAQ: What is this problem asking for?

1. What is the problem statement asking me to do?

The problem statement is asking you to identify and understand the problem, and then come up with a solution or answer.

2. What are the key elements or variables in the problem?

The key elements or variables in the problem are the information or data provided, the goal or objective, and any constraints or limitations.

3. What is the expected output or outcome of solving this problem?

The expected output or outcome of solving this problem is a solution or answer to the problem that satisfies the given criteria or objectives.

4. What are the steps or strategies to solve this problem?

The steps or strategies to solve this problem may include understanding the problem, analyzing the given information, breaking down the problem into smaller parts, brainstorming and evaluating potential solutions, and testing and refining the solution until it meets the desired outcome.

5. How can I ensure that I am correctly interpreting the problem statement?

To ensure that you are correctly interpreting the problem statement, you can restate the problem in your own words, double-check all given information and variables, and seek clarification or feedback from others if needed.

Back