What is wrong with the following proof

• Thread starter snipez90
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation discusses the incorrect use of algebra and complex numbers in determining the value of ln(e^2iπ). While ln(e^2iπ) = ln1 is true, the statement 2iπ = ln1 is not. The ln function is multivalued and the correct value of ln(e^2iπ) is 0*i and not 2iπ. The conversation also mentions the fact that e^(ix) is not invertible and the single valued ln function is not its inverse.
snipez90
What is wrong with the following "proof"

My friend was messing around and sent me something that leads to an incorrect conclusion:

e^iπ = -1
(e^iπ)^2 = (-1)^2
e^2iπ = 1
ln(e^2iπ) = ln1
2iπ * lne = ln1
2iπ * 1 = 0
2iπ = 0

After refreshing my memory with some of the most important theorems involving complex numbers, I'm still trying to find wrong step. My first qualm deals with lines 1-3. He puts his faith behind simple algebra, but I think it's just a coincidence. Line 1 and line 3 hold because of Euler's formula, which involves trig. Therefore, I believe that squaring to get 1 is a coincidence but then again according to the rules of algebra that should be valid?

Then the natural log part. I think that ln(e^2iπ) = ln[cos(2π) + i*sin(2π)] is undefined. But then my friend points out the obvious fact that the i*sin(2π) term vanishes, leaving ln(1), which of course is 0. I don't know too much about complex numbers, so any opinions on this discussion would be great.

Mathematics news on Phys.org

While ln(e^2iπ) = ln1 is true, 2iπ = ln 1 is not. The natural logarithm of e^theta*i is defined as sigma*i where sigma is the corresponding angle lesser than 2pi. Therefore ln(e^2iπ) = 0*i and not 2iπ.

Strictly speaking the ln function is multivalued.

e2n(pi)i=1 for any n. Therefore ln(1)=2n(pi)i, for all n.

snipez90 said:
1) ln(e^2iπ) = ln1
2) 2iπ * lne = ln1
3) 2iπ * 1 = 0

The only problem is the top 2 lines. e^(ix) is not invertible. The single valued ln function is not its inverse.

Related to What is wrong with the following proof

1. What is wrong with the following proof?

This question is too broad and does not specify which proof is being referred to. It is important to identify the specific proof in order to determine what might be wrong with it.

2. How do I know if a proof is correct?

A proof is considered correct if it follows a logical sequence of steps and uses valid mathematical reasoning to support its conclusion. It is important to carefully review each step and ensure that it is supported by evidence or known mathematical principles.

3. Can a proof be wrong even if it seems convincing?

Yes, a proof can still be incorrect even if it seems convincing. This is why it is important to carefully check each step and make sure it is logically sound and supported by evidence. A single mistake or incorrect assumption can make the entire proof invalid.

4. Is it possible for a proof to have more than one error?

Yes, a proof can have multiple errors. It is important to thoroughly review each step and check for any potential mistakes or incorrect assumptions. Even a small error can lead to larger mistakes in the proof.

5. What should I do if I find an error in a proof?

If you find an error in a proof, it is important to carefully point it out and explain why it is incorrect. This can help the person who wrote the proof to correct their mistakes and improve their understanding of the concept being proved. It is also important to provide constructive criticism and avoid being overly critical or dismissive.