What is your favorite drawing?

• Art
  • Thread starter mcastillo356
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drawing
sbrothy said:
John William Waterhouse's "Cleopatra" is my favorite.

I'm sure the person who's receiving that look is about to loose his/her head... :)
That gave me a phishing warning.

Science news on Phys.org
fresh_42 said:
That gave me a phishing warning.
Sorry. I thought shortening the URL was smart. Let mejust correct that.

EDIT: Hope that did the trick. Though I can't correct the part you quoted of course.

Likes fresh_42
I don't know what gold oil paint cost when he painted that but, even though it's a small canvas, he must've used quite a bit.

That anyone can paint with such realism impresses me.

You heard the one about the reign of the Medici which gave us 300 years of constant war and assasination but also produced Michelangelo, Raphael, yeah the entire Renaissance, while 500 years of democracy in Switzerland gave us the cuckoo-clock. That's humans for you. :P

Likes pinball1970
I wouldn't bet that the cuckoo clocks are from Switzerland.
Wikipedia said:
The origins of the cuckoo clock are obscure. As early as 1619, a clock with a cuckoo cry entered the collection of Elector Johann Georg I of Saxony.
It is actually the Black Forest that is famous for them. The Swiss gave us ...

I was looking for a typical swiss painting and searched for Rigi paintings but I have only found paintings from English (William Turner) or German painters (Ernst-Ferdinand Oehme, Eduard Walther). Strange.

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970
fresh_42 said:
I wouldn't bet that the cuckoo clocks are from Switzerland.

It is actually the Black Forest that is famous for them. The Swiss gave us ...

Hah, yeah I guess I asked for that running around spreading apocryphal stories. Luckily it didn't auto-start and my volume is turned down. :)

BTW, there's a wiki page which kills all these myths I'm sure you've also heard. That daddy longlegs are really poisonous if they could just bite through our skin, or that sharks must constantly swim lest they die. I think that the north/west hemisphere Coriolis bath tub rotation thing is laid to rest somewhere on there too.

Still, I hear them repeated at least weekly.

EDIT: OK. I'm done being off-topic.

sbrothy said:
Hah, yeah I guess I asked for that running around spreading apocryphal stories. Luckily it didn't auto-start and my volume is turned down. :)
Don't mind. The Germanic tribes in the Black Forest and those in the German part of Switzerland are closely related.