What is your weight? (in Newtons)

In summary, ~~The weight of the bike and the rider is supported equally by the two tires. If the gauge pressure in the tires is 73.5 lb/in2 and the area of contact between each tire and the road is 7.13 cm2, the weight of the rider is 8.54e6N.
dalitwil
Suppose that when you ride on your 7.00 kg bike the weight of you and the bike is supported equally by the two tires. If the gauge pressure in the tires is 73.5 lb/in2 and the area of contact between each tire and the road is 7.13 cm2, what is your weight? (in Newtons)

MY WORK:
P(gauge)=P-P(atmosphere)
73.5lb/in2=506765N/m2

P=506765N/m2+101000N/m2
=607765N/m2

F=P/A
=607765/.0713
=8.54e6N

This isn't correct. I also used the fact that the tires are round, so A=pi(d/2)^2 and used that as the area. That wasn't correct either.

I also tried multiplying (both forms of area) by 2, since there is 2 tires. Nope, not correct again.

And finally (all forms of force) I divided my answer by 9.81 since W does equal m*g. Still not correct.

I have been modifying my solutions in a variety of ways, none of which are correct, summerizing (no matter how many times i reread the section) I am not understanding what is going on at all.

Please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dont forget to subtract the weight of the bike from the final force you get. The weight of the bike is about 70N. The total sufrace area of contact is 14.26cm^2.

You are dividing by only he surface area of one tire.

dalitwil said:
Suppose that when you ride on your 7.00 kg bike the weight of you and the bike is supported equally by the two tires. If the gauge pressure in the tires is 73.5 lb/in2 and the area of contact between each tire and the road is 7.13 cm2, what is your weight? (in Newtons)

MY WORK:
P(gauge)=P-P(atmosphere)
73.5lb/in2=506765N/m2

P=506765N/m2+101000N/m2
=607765N/m2

F=P/A
=607765/.0713
=8.54e6N

This isn't correct. I also used the fact that the tires are round, so A=pi(d/2)^2 and used that as the area. That wasn't correct either.

I also tried multiplying (both forms of area) by 2, since there is 2 tires. Nope, not correct again.

And finally (all forms of force) I divided my answer by 9.81 since W does equal m*g. Still not correct.

I have been modifying my solutions in a variety of ways, none of which are correct, summerizing (no matter how many times i reread the section) I am not understanding what is going on at all.

Please help me.
From problem statement:
{Weight of Bike} = (7 kg)*(9.81 m/sec^2) = (68.67 N)
{Rider's Weight} = W
{Total Tire Contact Area} = 2*(7.13 cm^2) = 2*(7.13e(-4) m^2)
{Tire Pressure Holding Bike + Rider} = (73.5 lb/in^2) = (5.0677e(+5) N/m^2)

Because system is at equilibrium, we have:
{Force Applied By Tire Pressure} = {Weight Bike + Rider}
::: ⇒ {Tire Pressure Holding Bike + Rider}*{Total Tire Contact Area} = {Weight Bike + Rider}
::: ⇒ (5.0677e(+5) N/m^2)*{2*(7.13e(-4) m^2)} = W + (68.67 N)
::: ⇒ (722.65 N) = W + (68.67 N)
::: ⇒ W = (654 N) ::: (or mass of 66.6 kg = 147 lbs)

~~

FAQ: What is your weight? (in Newtons)

1. What is weight in Newtons?

Weight in Newtons is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. It is named after Sir Isaac Newton, the scientist who discovered the laws of motion and gravity.

2. How is weight measured in Newtons?

Weight in Newtons is typically measured using a spring scale or a balance scale. The scale measures the force of gravity acting on the object and displays it in units of Newtons.

3. How does weight in Newtons differ from weight in pounds or kilograms?

Weight in Newtons is a measure of force, while weight in pounds or kilograms is a measure of mass. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on that object. The conversion between mass and weight varies depending on the strength of the gravitational field. On Earth, 1 kilogram of mass is equivalent to approximately 9.8 Newtons of weight.

4. Is weight in Newtons the same as mass in Newtons?

No, weight in Newtons and mass in Newtons are not the same. Mass in Newtons is a measure of an object's resistance to acceleration, while weight in Newtons is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is a scalar quantity, while weight is a vector quantity.

5. Why is weight in Newtons a more accurate measure than weight in pounds or kilograms?

Weight in Newtons is a more accurate measure because it takes into account the strength of the gravitational field. The force of gravity can vary depending on the location and the mass of the objects involved. Therefore, weight in Newtons is a more precise measure of the force of gravity acting on an object compared to weight in pounds or kilograms, which do not take these factors into account.