What kind of programming jobs are common these days?

In summary, the conversation discusses the current state of programming jobs and the popularity of different languages. The speakers mention that there is not much new development in C and C++ and that many companies are moving towards languages like .NET and Java. There is also a demand for script languages like PHP and Perl. The conversation also touches on the use of Objective-C in companies like Apple and the pay scale for different languages. Overall, the speakers agree that the programming industry is constantly evolving and it's important to stay current with the popular languages and technologies.
rcgldr
Homework Helper
I'm wondering what kind of work is out there these days. My recent work has been with computer peripherals, mostly C, and some assembly, in an event driven, multi-tasking environments, but lately, there's not a lot of new development in this area.

Going back to 1973, most of my work was with multi-tasking, sometimes multi-system, (custom networking in the old days) applications or environments. I got hired to do device drivers for OS and backup apps at a peripheral company, but eventually migrated into working on the firmware itself, initially helping with the multi-tasking OS implementation, later specialzing in compression and ECC, becoming somewhat niche oriented.

I'm looking to get back into more "mainstream" jobs before I retire, and I'm wondering what's out there. I can scan postings at monster.com, but I'm curious as to what programmers that post here are doing these days.

Technology news on Phys.org
I don't think you'll tend to see may companies starting new project in C or C++ unless they are embeded these days. Everything seems to be moving towards .NET mostly using C#. There is still quite a demand for script languages like PHP and Ruby but they don't tend to pay as much.

At our company (a financial data company), we mostly have:

- C/C++: not much that I'm aware of. No new development that I know of, but there are a few applications that still need to be supported. These are (surprisingly!) web pages and cross-system tools. Most C/C++ stuff is enough of a hassle to maintain that it's been getting phased out in favor of Java, mostly.

- Java: in theory, all our new non-web development is supposed to be in Java. This is mostly for data processing, aggregation, retrieval, and delivery. Java is probably one of the more widely used languages in the company, and is still going pretty strong from the looks of things.

- PHP: This is supposed to be the "other" language we're moving into (but not in a hurry). All our web development is supposed to be moving to PHP. Primarily because PHP is very simple to understand, and everyone and their brother knows how to write PHP, so it's cheaper to find developers (although you'll find a wide diversity of skilled and unskilled PHP developers).

- Perl: We've got a lot of older code in Perl. A chunk of our web development, as well as data processing (and so forth) is written in Perl, although we're being encouraged to migrate going forward.

All told, our company has a few hundred developers worldwide, just to give you an idea of our size. Are we "mainstream"? I guess so? Hard to say, really...

DaveE

I did a quick search of my company's job listings. Of course, many list multiple languages but, it gives you a rough idea.

Java: 194 job listings
C++: 136
Perl: 80
.NET: 77
C#: 70
PHP: 2

Thanks for the responses. What about pay scale versus language? In my area, the embedded application companies mostly use C, and they tend to pay more than generic windows type programming jobs.

silverfrost said:
What about the iPhone or Apple Macs? They use Objective-C:

I was just referring to my company in particular-- I can't really speak to how C/C++ is being used industry-wide compared to other languages, so I figured I'd just cover what we do in our little corner.

DaveE

There are good companies like Accenture: http://www.accenture.com/. I believe they are mainstream. My company hired them for some massive projects.

Related to What kind of programming jobs are common these days?

1. What are some common programming languages used in today's job market?

Some of the most common programming languages used in today's job market include Java, Python, C++, JavaScript, and SQL.

2. Are there any specific industries or fields that heavily rely on programming jobs?

Yes, there are many industries and fields that heavily rely on programming jobs. Some examples include software development, data science, artificial intelligence, web development, and mobile app development.

3. What are some popular job titles for programmers?

Some popular job titles for programmers include software engineer, web developer, data scientist, mobile application developer, and computer systems analyst.

4. Are there any specific skills or qualifications that are commonly required for programming jobs?

Yes, most programming jobs require a strong proficiency in at least one programming language, as well as knowledge of data structures, algorithms, and problem-solving skills. A degree in computer science or a related field is also often preferred.

5. Is there a demand for entry-level programmers in today's job market?

Yes, there is a high demand for entry-level programmers in today's job market. Many companies are willing to train and mentor new programmers, and there are also many internship opportunities available for students looking to gain experience.