What kind of questions do you ask yourself when learning math and physics?

In summary: Summarizing a lecture and not asking questions will not get the information to stick. It is necessary to struggle through the material on your own and ask questions.
cs23
During a lecture on a technical topic what kind of questions do you ask? I find that when I'm in class, i sit there not knowing what's going on. I think I'm not actively engaged because I'm not questioning. I know for the information to stick i need to ask questions to myself. What are some questions some of you ask?

Also when reading a textbook, let's say on heat transfer, what kind of questions do you ask. Just reading a textbook passively won't get the information to stick

Physics news on Phys.org
My question to the lecturer is always: Please sum up everything you said in one sentence. I've never asked this, but the best lecturers always provide a guiding big picture to prevent us from getting lost in gory details.

But just ask *anything* you don't understand - everyone gets stuck at different points - and asking questions helps the lecturer figure out what he is explaining poorly.

Of course it is necessary to struggle with the material on your own too. Your questions will be better after that. But there are truly no stupid questions.

I struggled a lot as a first year physics student. Usually, a lot of times in lectures I wouldn't really know what was going on either, but I just wrote everything that was on the board down, and figured I would have time to review it all later, with the help of a book of course. The only way to really get physics is to struggle through your homework problems. You can only learn so much from a lecture, but working through the problems actually makes the material stick and is where the majority of learning is done.

atyy said:
But there are truly no stupid questions.

I wish I could agree, even for the sake of making cs23 more comfortable with asking more questions. But, I have heard some pretty ridiculous questions asked before... (maybe some people thought the same of my questions)

What frequently happened to me is that the lecturer would make some comment, and that would set my mind off thinking about some totally tangential implication of what he said. By the time I tune back into the lecture I'd have no idea what was going on.
If you do this you've just got to learn to catch yourself doing that and tune back in immediately.

Why I don't have gf?

Answer: learning too much maths and physics.

Answer: learning too much maths and physics.

That's my answer too, but I think I'm flattering myself.

Related to What kind of questions do you ask yourself when learning math and physics?

1. What is the best way to approach solving a math or physics problem?

The best approach to solving a math or physics problem is to break it down into smaller, manageable steps. Start by identifying what is given and what is being asked, then use relevant equations and concepts to work towards a solution.

2. How can I improve my critical thinking skills in math and physics?

Improving critical thinking skills in math and physics involves regularly practicing problems and actively reflecting on the process. It also helps to ask questions and seek out alternative approaches to problem-solving.

3. How do I know if I'm on the right track when solving a difficult math or physics problem?

One way to gauge if you're on the right track is to check if your solution makes sense and aligns with the given information and known principles. It can also be helpful to break the problem down into smaller parts and check each step along the way.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when learning math and physics?

Common mistakes to avoid include rushing through problems, not fully understanding the fundamentals and concepts, and not checking your work for errors. It's also important to avoid relying too heavily on memorization rather than understanding the reasoning behind equations and principles.

5. How can I stay motivated and overcome challenges when learning math and physics?

Staying motivated and overcoming challenges in math and physics requires persistence and a positive mindset. Set achievable goals, take breaks when needed, and seek help from teachers or peers when facing difficult concepts. Remember that making mistakes and facing challenges is a natural part of learning and can ultimately lead to a deeper understanding of the subject.