What kind of sensor is best for detecting fault current on a power line?

In summary, Mr. Hardy describes a project to create a fault locating system on high voltage lines. He has attempted to make a device that can be directly mounted to the line to detect faults and send a radio signal to a pole mounted unit. He has also looked for suitable radio devices to send the signal. Finally, he has looked for a way to convert the radio signal to an SMS message.
maheel
Hi,
I'm working on a project to make a fault locating system on HV and MV (11kv to 220kv, 33kv first).
I'm try to make a device that can be directly mounted to the line (Mount on live bare conductors) to detect the fault in the power line and send a radio signal to devise mounted on the pole. Then the device mounted in the pole should send the signal (SMS) to mobile or a PC through GSM modem.
I'm interested in Electronic but not a expert. These are the my tasks,

1.Find a sensor to detect the fault (fault current),
What kind of sensor that can i used to detect fault current in the line? (hall sensor, Clip on type CTs...Etc)

2.suitable radio devices to send the radio signal to pole mounted unit?
3.how to convert radio signal to SMS?

any advice would be really appreciate...

Thanks...
Maheel

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thank you Mr.Jim Hardy

That Jim Hardy - he's a walking encyclopaedia. Where would we be without him? :approve:

sophiecentaur said:
That Jim Hardy - he's a walking encyclopaedia. Where would we be without him? :approve:

The kind of guy a person wishes they had for a neighbor.

You guys are way too kind.

That my academic weakness is tolerated here says a lot of good about you folks.
If i can occasionally help with practical side of things , well, maybe it'll help somebody struggle up the learning curve as we all did.
Mathematician GH Hardy said to effect" There are students who simply cannot grasp higher mathematics. They should not be dismissed because they can contribute at a practical level."

Thanks guys, for letting me play here. When i blunder please correct me.

old jim

sophiecentaur said:

Averagesupernova said:
The kind of guy a person wishes they had for a neighbor.

Ditto.

jim hardy said:
You guys are way too kind.

Thanks guys, for letting me play here.

Your play is teaching me. Don't stop. :thumbs:

Related to What kind of sensor is best for detecting fault current on a power line?

1. What is fault locating on power line?

Fault locating on power line is the process of identifying and locating any abnormalities or malfunctions in the power line system that may cause disruptions or interruptions in the flow of electricity. These faults can occur due to various reasons such as equipment failures, weather conditions, or external factors.

2. How is fault locating on power line performed?

Fault locating on power line is typically performed by using specialized equipment such as fault locators, high-voltage detectors, and thermal imaging cameras. These tools help in pinpointing the exact location of the fault and determining its type, whether it is a short circuit, open circuit, or ground fault.

3. What are the common causes of faults in power lines?

The most common causes of faults in power lines include equipment failures, such as insulation breakdown or damaged conductors, severe weather conditions like lightning strikes or strong winds, and external factors like fallen trees or animals coming into contact with the power line.

4. How long does it take to locate a fault on a power line?

The time it takes to locate a fault on a power line can vary depending on the complexity and severity of the fault. In some cases, it can be located and repaired within a few hours, while in other cases, it may take several days to identify and fix the issue.

5. What are the benefits of fault locating on power line?

Fault locating on power line is crucial for maintaining a reliable and safe electricity supply. By identifying and repairing faults in a timely manner, it helps prevent power outages and reduces the risk of electrical hazards. It also helps in improving the overall efficiency and performance of the power line system.