What language should a future physicist study in college?

In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of learning a foreign language for a physicist, as well as which language would be most useful. The general consensus is that English is the language of physics and any other language is a bonus. Some suggestions for potential languages include French, German, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, Japanese, and Spanish. It is also mentioned that learning a foreign language can broaden one's world view and make them more well-rounded. Ultimately, the individual decides to go with German as their language of choice.
moo-on
Many colleges require that all students learn a foreign language, but I have no idea which one I would want to study. Right now I don't know which area of physics I want to go into, or where I want to live. I suppose that if I stay in the U.S. it doesn't really matter which foreign language I learn. But what if I end up in, say, Europe? Which language would be most useful for a physicist there?

Thanks in advance for your advice. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Take the bare minimum of language classes required and then take more physics classes. English is the language of physics.

fss said:
Take the bare minimum of language classes required and then take more physics classes. English is the language of physics.

I fully agree with the above statement. Basically, as long as you speak English, you should be alright. If you can, however, pick up other languages on the way, then good for you. You don't need mastery of a language, just an understanding of it.

I should clarify a bit. I really don't want to do the bare minimum in any area. I definitely want to learn a foreign language, I just don't know which one. I was thinking I should probably go with French or German, right?

moo-on said:
I should clarify a bit. I really don't want to do the bare minimum in any area. I definitely want to learn a foreign language, I just don't know which one. I was thinking I should probably go with French or German, right?

What about Chinese?

Physicists come from all over the world nowadays.
So any language of a developed country is conceivably useful.
So French, German, Spanish, Russian are logical choices.
What I find interesting is that in China they have a quarter of the world population. There's bound to be many very smart people there, and China is definitely on the rise.

Note that any physicist that I've met (I'm from the Netherlands), speaks English fluently.

[edit]Now that I think of it, I've met a number of physicists from eastern Europe. A number of them only spoke Russian and German (next to their native language).[/edit]

Just pick the language that sounds coolest to you, because picking any of those two isn't going to give you significant advantage over the other. Scratch that, it might, but you can't really predict which one that will be, because you don't know in what situation you'll find yourself. If you'll move to the French countryside in thirty years, then obviously French is the way to go.

As far as science is concerned, my personal impression is that there's better stuff going on in German speaking countries, but on the other hand, Germans and Austrians are far from being terrible at English (which cannot be said of the French), so it'll be easier to communicate with them. But like people have mentioned, everything seems to be done in English anyway these days, and you also have to consider the fact that people in mainland Europe actually learn foreign languages in high school, so they're less ignorant than what you're used to :biggrin:

Anyway, you could also consider Spanish, there's a lot of people in the world that speak it, and it seems like a fun language. Also, Japanese and Chinese would be a great option.

If you must, I would say:

German
Russian
French
Chinese
Japanese
Spanish (lots of good Latin American physicist out there!)

If you can master German or Russian, you'll get the benefit of being able to read classic physics and math textbooks and papers in their native language. While I am sure little is lost in translation, sometime the way people use language gives you an idea of how they think about things.

Learning a foreign language isn't useless, and if your into it, why not? Always good to be well balanced. I've met far too many math and (especially) physics majors (though certainly not all) at school who are all physical science and have ZERO knowledge of social sciences and humanities.

They are very talented at what they do (science) but cannot write or interact socially with people at all! Learning a foreign language is a great way to expand your world view and to become better balanced. Go for it!

hitmeoff said:
If you can master German or Russian, you'll get the benefit of being able to read classic physics and math textbooks and papers in their native language. While I am sure little is lost in translation, sometime the way people use language gives you an idea of how they think about things.

In the study of mathematics, I had a couple of books in German.
The reason being that these works had simply never been translated in English!
It seems that the books in English were more about application than fundamental theories.

Knowing that many revolutionary scientists came from German speaking countries (Einstein, Heisenberg, Planck, ...), German might be an interesting choice if you're into fundamental theories.

Thanks for your advice, everyone! I think I'm going to go with German.

moo-on said:

Why French? Why German? Why French or German? Any human language would be great to learn. Which one or ones would you LIKE TO LEARN?

Related to What language should a future physicist study in college?

1. What is the most beneficial language for a future physicist to study in college?

The most beneficial language for a future physicist to study in college would be dependent on their field of study and research interests. Some commonly studied languages include Python, C++, and Fortran, which are used for scientific computing and data analysis. Other languages such as Java and MATLAB may also be useful for certain fields of physics.

2. Will studying a specific language give me an advantage in my physics career?

Studying a specific language may give you an advantage in your physics career, as it can enhance your understanding of computational methods and allow you to efficiently analyze and interpret data. However, it is important to note that the most important skills for a physicist are critical thinking and problem-solving, rather than a specific language.

3. Do I need to be proficient in multiple languages as a physicist?

It is not necessary to be proficient in multiple languages as a physicist, but having knowledge of multiple languages can be beneficial. Different languages have their own strengths and weaknesses, and being familiar with a variety of languages can allow a physicist to choose the most suitable one for their specific research needs.

4. Is it better to learn a programming language or a spoken language as a physicist?

Both programming languages and spoken languages can be useful for a physicist. However, if you are primarily interested in pursuing research in physics, it may be more beneficial to focus on learning a programming language that is commonly used in the field, as it will directly enhance your research skills and abilities.

5. Are there any resources available to help me learn a programming language for physics?

Yes, there are many resources available to help you learn a programming language for physics. Many universities offer courses or workshops specifically focused on programming for physics. Additionally, there are numerous online tutorials, books, and resources available for self-study. It may also be helpful to connect with other physicists or attend conferences to learn from experts in the field.