What length of steel is above the surface?

In summary, the problem asks for the length of a steel cylinder above the surface of mercury, given its diameter, height, and density. Using the equations for buoyant force and volume of a cylinder, the mass and height above the surface are calculated. After some adjustments, the correct answer is found to be 23 centimeters.
UMDstudent
[SOLVED] What length of steel is above the surface?

Homework Statement

A 10-cm-diameter, 80.0 -tall steel cylinder (density of steel 7900) floats in mercury. The axis of the cylinder is perpendicular to the surface.

What length of steel is above the surface?

Homework Equations

Free body Diagram
Density = Mass / Volume
Buoyant Force = mass*gravity (Free Body Diagram)
Volume of a cylinder = Pi * r^2 * h

The Attempt at a Solution

Given : Radius = .05m | Height = .4m | Density of Steel = 7900 kg/m^3 | Density of Mercury 13570 kg/m^3 |

Unknowns : Mass of steel pipe ? | height above the mercury? |

First thing i did was draw a Free Body Diagram where i calculated that the Buoyant Force was equal to the mass * gravity of the pipe/rod:

Fb = mg : rho*pi*r^2*h = m (both gravity's cancel ) I can transform this formula into :

Height = Mass / rho * Pi * R^2

How do we determine mass? We know that Density = Mass/ Volume. So we get :

Mass = Volume * Density = (Pi *r^2*h)*Density = pi*.05^2*.4*7900 = 24.8 kg

Now, we plug that into the above equation (Height = Mass / rho * Pi * R^2 ) :

Height = 24.8kg/13570 * pi*.05^2 = .23 centimeters. This should be the right answer but according to mastering Physics, this is incorrect. It seem logical, where did i go wrong?

-SHANE

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
nvm, I figured this out. I needed to just convert that answer back to centimeters and then subtract that *23 centimeters from the original 80.

Thanks.

nvm, I figured this out. I needed to just convert that answer back to centimeters and then subtract that *23 centimeters from the original 80.Thanks.

Related to What length of steel is above the surface?

1. What is the purpose of measuring the length of steel above the surface?

Measuring the length of steel above the surface is important for determining the structural integrity and stability of a building or structure. It can also help determine if the steel is properly installed and meets safety standards.

2. How is the length of steel above the surface measured?

The length of steel above the surface is usually measured using a measuring tape or laser measurement tool. A trained professional will carefully measure and record the length to ensure accuracy.

3. What are some potential risks if the length of steel above the surface is incorrect?

If the length of steel above the surface is incorrect, it can compromise the overall stability and safety of a building or structure. It could also lead to potential collapse or failure, putting individuals in danger.

4. Are there any regulations or guidelines for the length of steel above the surface?

Yes, there are regulations and guidelines set by building codes and safety organizations that dictate the required length of steel above the surface for different types of buildings and structures. These guidelines aim to ensure the safety and stability of structures.

5. Can the length of steel above the surface change over time?

Yes, the length of steel above the surface can change over time due to factors such as structural shifts, corrosion, or improper installation. Regular inspections and maintenance can help identify and address any changes in the length of steel above the surface.