What Length Should the Bar Be to Measure Pollen Mass at a 10 Degree Swing?

• Thread starter phys.101.
  • Start date
In summary: Substitute the values given in the problem:L = (7.13 x 10^-3)(cos(10))L = 7.01 x 10^-34. To finish the problem, you can now plug in the value of r into the equations to find the final values for velocity and height. You can also check if your friend's claim is correct by comparing the calculated length of the bar (r) to the expected length of a bar for a reasonable angle of 10 degrees. If the calculated length is significantly different, then your friend may be correct and the design may not work. In summary, to finish the problem, you need to solve for the value of r that will give you a
phys.101.
Need help finishing problem!?

1. Homework Statement
You are a member of a group designing an air filtration system for allergy sufferers. To optimize its operation you need to measure the mass of the common pollen in the air where the filter will be used. To measure the pollens mass you have designed a small rectangular box with a hole in one side to allow the pollen to enter. Once inside the pollen is given a positive electric charge and accelerated by an electrostatic force to a speed of 1.4m/s. The pollen then hits the end of a very small uniform bar which is hanging straight down from a pivot at its top. Since the bar has a negative charge at its tip, the pollen sticks to it as the bar swings up. measuring the angle that the bar swings up would give the particles mass. After the angle is measured, the charge of the bar is reversed, releasing that particle. It's a cool design but your friend insists it will never work. To prove it she asks you to calculate the length of the bar which would give you a reasonable angle of about 10 degrees for a typical pollen particle of 4 x 10^-9 grams. Your plan calls for a bar of 7 x 10^-4 grams with a moment of inertial 1/12 as much as if all of it's mass were concentrated at its end. is she correct?

2. Homework Equations

w = omega
Angular momentum (L) = I(w) I= Mr^2
Rotational kinetic energy = 1/2I(w)^2
Potential energy = mgh

I was given a formula by my prof though I don't know how he got it: rw = v, becomes v/r = w

3. The Attempt at a Solution
First I set up a conservation of angular momentum equation: Initial momentum of pollen + momentum of bar: Iw + Iw with the initial momentum of the bar = 0
L(initial) = (mr^2)V/r = mrV = 5.6x10^-9R = L(initial)
L(final) = (I of pollen + I of bar/12)w = (mr^2+mr^2/12)V/r
Here I am confused how dividing the inertia of bar by twelve, I didn't know how do divide an unknown (r^2) by 12 so I only divided the mass by 12.
Anyway the r in v/r cancels out one of the r's from inertia leaving the equation: 5.83x10^-5rv(final)
conservation of momentum: 5.6x10^/9R = 5.83x10^/5rv(final), divide both sides by r, removing r. divide the right number from v to find v final.

From here I do a conservation of angular energy and solve for height and from there I use h =L(1/cos(theta)) to find L.
I am wondering if I am doing the first part right to get the info needed to solve the rest of the problem.

And how do i finish the problem!?

Physics news on Phys.org

To finish the problem, you need to find the value of r (length of the bar) that will give you a reasonable angle of 10 degrees for a typical pollen particle of 4 x 10^-9 grams. You have already set up the conservation of angular momentum equation and the conservation of angular energy equation, so now you need to plug in the values given in the problem and solve for r.

Here is the full solution:

1. Conservation of angular momentum:
L(initial) = L(final)
(mrV) = [(mr^2) + (mr^2/12)]w
Substitute the values given in the problem:
(4 x 10^-9)(r)(1.4) = [(7 x 10^-4)(r^2) + (7 x 10^-4)(r^2/12)]w
Simplify:
5.6 x 10^-9 r = (7.5833 x 10^-4 r^2)w
Divide both sides by r:
5.6 x 10^-9 = 7.5833 x 10^-4 rw
Rearrange to solve for r:
r = (5.6 x 10^-9)/(7.5833 x 10^-4 w)

2. Conservation of angular energy:
Initial energy = final energy
(1/2)(I of pollen)(w)^2 + (1/2)(I of bar)(w)^2 = mgh
Substitute the values given in the problem:
(1/2)(4 x 10^-9)(w)^2 + (1/2)(7 x 10^-4)(w)^2/12 = (4 x 10^-9)(9.8)h
Simplify:
(2 x 10^-9)(w)^2 + (3.5 x 10^-6)(w)^2 = (3.92 x 10^-8)h
Combine like terms:
(5.5 x 10^-6)(w)^2 = (3.92 x 10^-8)h
Divide both sides by (w)^2:
h = (3.92 x 10^-8)/ (5.5 x 10^-6)
h = 7.13 x 10^-3

3. Use h = L(1/cos(theta)) to find L:
L = (h)(

Related to What Length Should the Bar Be to Measure Pollen Mass at a 10 Degree Swing?

What is the best approach for finishing a difficult scientific problem?

The best approach for finishing a difficult scientific problem is to break it down into smaller, manageable parts. Start by identifying the main question or objective of the problem, and then work backwards to determine the steps needed to reach a solution. It may also be helpful to consult with colleagues or experts in the field for their insights and perspectives.

How can I overcome feeling stuck or frustrated when trying to finish a problem?

Feeling stuck or frustrated is a common experience when working on a challenging problem. To overcome this, take a step back and try to approach the problem from a different angle. You can also try taking a break and coming back to the problem with a fresh perspective. Remember to stay organized and keep track of your progress to help you stay motivated.

What resources are available to help me finish a scientific problem?

There are many resources available to help you finish a scientific problem. These may include textbooks, scientific journals, online databases, and research papers. Additionally, you can reach out to other scientists or experts in the field for guidance and support.

How can I ensure the accuracy and validity of my solution?

To ensure the accuracy and validity of your solution, it is important to follow the scientific method and use reliable sources of information. This includes conducting thorough research, collecting and analyzing data, and using appropriate statistical methods to draw conclusions. It is also important to critically evaluate your own work and seek feedback from others.

What should I do if I am unable to finish a scientific problem?

If you are unable to finish a scientific problem, it is important not to become discouraged. Remember that sometimes, even with the best efforts, a problem may not have a clear solution. In this case, it may be helpful to discuss the problem with colleagues or seek guidance from others in the field. It is also important to document your attempts and any potential insights or ideas that may be useful in the future.