What Major Should I Choose to Combine Engineering and Programming?

In summary, a high-school student is considering what profession to focus on for college and wonders if aerospace engineering is the right choice. They think about the skills they have and realize that they are competent in programming and engineering, but want to focus on one or the other. They recommend focusing on robotics or control systems if you want to be a good engineer.
Micard
Happy Thanksgiving to you! I am a high-school student and I'm a senior. I'm very interested in engineering and programming, and also space. Could you please help me decide what profession or career to choose? I mean major in college. The first thing that comes to mind is Aerospace engineering, but it is different, there are different engineers in this field. Plus, it doesn't or almost doesn't involve programming. Before considering engineering I was completely sure I was going to become a computer programmer. I have skills in both programming and some engineering, I have done some projects with Arduino, Raspberry Pi, and did stuff myself like Tesla Coils (just for fun). I want my job to involve a descent amount of time programming and also engineering. I like making stuff or thinking about how to make stuff, like how to make an engine (I have a project of a rocket controlled by raspberry pi with a diy engine, that can stabilize the rocket etc). And I also like space. Well, this is more optional. If you can give me some suggestions that don't include space - it's fine. Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
A friend of mine recently came up with the theory: "If you are good with computers, no matter what field you do your degree in you will always end up programing". Sounds silly, but I did not have a counter-example at hand (in fact I actively try to get away from programming but always end up doing it). I am pretty sure that if you want to program you will find a lot of opportunities to do so in engineering.

Programming is a necessary skill for most engineers. They usually don't have to be exceptionally good or organized about it, but they do need to be competent. What separates engineers from programmers is that along with basic programming skills, they have to know about the things they're programming for.

If you like both knowing about the things you build and programming for them, I suggest a focus on robotics, or control systems. This field is fairly heavy on math, but it can also be very practical, hands-on, and generally such engineers earn decent salaries.

Fair warning: I am a control systems engineer. I have an electrical engineering degree. That's my bias.

Thank you for the replies! Much appreciate it!

First of all, Happy Thanksgiving to you as well! It sounds like you have a lot of interests and skills in both engineering and programming, which is great. My suggestion would be to explore different majors and career paths that combine both of these interests. Aerospace engineering may not involve as much programming, but there are other engineering fields that do, such as computer engineering or mechatronics engineering.

You could also consider pursuing a degree in computer science with a focus on robotics or artificial intelligence, which would allow you to combine your interests in engineering and programming. Another option could be to major in mechanical engineering and take electives in computer science or programming to gain a more well-rounded skill set.

As for your interest in space, there are many career opportunities within the aerospace industry that involve both engineering and programming, such as spacecraft design, satellite operations, and space exploration technology. You could also consider working for a company like NASA or SpaceX, where you can use your skills in engineering and programming to contribute to space exploration.

Ultimately, my advice would be to continue exploring your interests and gaining experience through projects and internships. This will help you narrow down your options and find a career path that aligns with your passions and skills. Best of luck in your future endeavors!

FAQ: What Major Should I Choose to Combine Engineering and Programming?

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a future career?

There are several important factors to consider when choosing a future career. These include your interests, skills, values, job outlook and growth potential, salary and benefits, work-life balance, and job satisfaction. It's important to identify what is most important to you and find a career that aligns with those priorities.

2. How can I explore different career options?

There are many ways to explore different career options. You can take career assessments, job shadow or conduct informational interviews with professionals in fields that interest you, attend career fairs, and research job descriptions and requirements. You can also gain hands-on experience through internships or volunteer work.

3. What should I do if I'm unsure about my career path?

If you're unsure about your career path, it's important to take your time and not rush into a decision. You can continue to explore different options and gain experience through internships or volunteering. It may also be helpful to talk to a career counselor or mentor for guidance and advice. Remember, it's okay to change your mind and pursue a different career path if needed.

4. How can I prepare for my future career?

To prepare for your future career, it's important to continue learning and developing your skills. This can be through formal education, workshops, or online courses. It's also important to gain practical experience through internships, volunteer work, or part-time jobs. Building a strong network and maintaining professional relationships can also be beneficial for your future career.

5. Is it important to have a specific career goal in mind?

While having a specific career goal in mind can be helpful, it's not necessary. It's more important to have a general idea of what you want in a career and the skills and values that are important to you. As you gain experience and learn more about different industries, your career goals may change and evolve. It's important to be open to new opportunities and be adaptable in your career journey.