What makes an engineering program good?

In summary, the conversation discusses the ranking of an engineering program at a university in NC and the factors that make a program good or bad. The classes offered in the computer engineering program are listed, along with the importance of internships and experienced staff in determining the success of the program.
sloan13
I am 2nd year student transferring into computer engineering at a university in NC. I saw on the US News rankings that their engineering program was at the bottom of the rankings but still ranked nonetheless.

Their facilities are up-to-date. What exactly makes an engineering program good or bad?

The classes in the computer engineering program are:
-------------------------------------------
Intro to Engineering Practices and Principles I

Introduction to Engineering Practices and Principles II

Computer Utilization in C++

Computer Engineering Programming II

Network Theory I and II

Instrumentation and Networks Laboratory

Logic Systems Design I and II

Logic and Networks Laboratory

Signals and Systems

Fundamentals of Electronics and Semiconductors

Systems and Electronics Lab

Computer Organization

Digital Design Lab

Data Communications and Networking

Electronics

Embedded Systems

Intro to VHDL

Digital Signal Processing

And of course there are the physics, chem, liberal studies, professional ethics type classes, calculus, diff equations, stats, econ, depth and science electives, and senior design 1 and 2.
-------------------------------------------
All input is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Much of the reputation a university earns lies in the staff. A modern facility and the right classes is all fine and dandy, but if the teachers lack experience, the program will perform badly; graduates will not be hired

Likes 1 person
Internships are very important. The more access your program gives you to internships the better. If your program doesn't organize internships for students that is a red flag.

FAQ: What makes an engineering program good?

1. What are the main factors that contribute to a good engineering program?

A good engineering program should have a strong curriculum that covers all the fundamental concepts and skills in the field. It should also have experienced and knowledgeable faculty, modern facilities and equipment, and opportunities for hands-on learning through internships or research projects.

2. How important is accreditation in determining the quality of an engineering program?

Accreditation is very important as it ensures that the program meets the standards set by the relevant accrediting body. It also indicates that the program has been reviewed and evaluated by experts in the field, giving students confidence in the quality of education they will receive.

3. What role do industry partnerships play in a good engineering program?

Industry partnerships are crucial in providing students with opportunities for real-world experience and networking. They also help keep the program up-to-date with current industry practices and provide valuable insights for curriculum development.

4. Are there any specific student support services that are important for a good engineering program?

Yes, student support services such as academic advising, tutoring, and career counseling are important for a good engineering program. These services can help students navigate their academic and career paths, and provide additional support to help them succeed in their studies.

5. How can I determine if a particular engineering program is a good fit for me?

It is important to research the program's curriculum, faculty, facilities, and industry partnerships to determine if they align with your academic and career goals. You can also reach out to current students or alumni to get their perspective on the program. Visiting the campus and attending information sessions can also give you a better sense of the program and its environment.