What makes an equation equivalent to another?

• Thread starter Atran
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equivalent
In summary, two equations are equivalent if they have exactly the same solution set. This means that if one equation is true, the other equation must also be true and vice versa. In the given example, the two equations x + y = 32 and 2x + 2y = 64 represent two distinct lines but have the same solution set. This means that the two lines intersect at the same point, making the equations equivalent.
Atran
I know that this is basic, but I don't get it. Say we have the system,
[itex]x + y = 32[/itex]
[itex]3x + 2y = 70[/itex]
Each equation represents a graph, and the solution is the point where the two lines intersect.

Here is where I am confused:
[itex]x + y = 32[/itex]
[itex]2x + 2y = 64[/itex]
What is the proof that the two equations are equivalent / represent the same graph?

I read that two equations are equivalent if they share the same implication:
Equivalent equations are ones such that the truth of one implies and is implied by the truth of the other.

Thanks for help.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Start by saying that the two equations represent two distinct lines.

What can you conclude from that?

Atran said:
I know that this is basic, but I don't get it. Say we have the system,
[itex]x + y = 32[/itex]
[itex]3x + 2y = 70[/itex]
Each equation represents a graph, and the solution is the point where the two lines intersect.

Here is where I am confused:
[itex]x + y = 32[/itex]
[itex]2x + 2y = 64[/itex]
What is the proof that the two equations are equivalent / represent the same graph?

I read that two equations are equivalent if they share the same implication:
Equivalent equations are ones such that the truth of one implies and is implied by the truth of the other.

Thanks for help.

Equivalent equations have the same solution set.

Your first two equations are not equivalent, since their graphs are different. They do intersect at a point, though. Assuming that they intersect at (2, 3), the equations x = 2 and y = 3 would be equivalent to the first pair of equations you have above. (Note that I just made up a solution, so my equations x = 2 and y = 3 aren't actually equivalent to yours.)

For your second system of equations, both equations represent exactly the same line. Each solution of the first equation is also a solution of the second equation. In different words, if (x0, y0) is a solution (i.e., makes the equation a true statement) of the first equation, it will also be a solution of the second equation. For this example, the two equations are equivalent.

So there are two ways of thinking:

1) If the two equations have one solution (which is one pair (xi, yi)) then I treat x and y in the equations as two (different) values.
[itex]x+y=32[/itex]
[itex]3x+2y=70[/itex]

[itex]2x+2y=64[/itex]
[itex]3x+2y=70[/itex]

[itex](3x+2y) - (2x+2y) = 70 - 64[/itex]
[itex]x = 6[/itex] and [itex]y = 26[/itex]

2) (x+y=32) is equivalent to (2x+2y=64), since they share the same set of coordinates, therefore the same graph. Let's say set A has the coordinates of (x+y=32), and set B of (3x+2y=70). The solution is the set, [itex]A \cap B[/itex].

Two equations are equivalent if they have exactly the same solution set. If (x, y) is in the solution set of the first equation then x+ y= 32. Multiplying both sides of the equation by 2, 2x+ 2y= 64 so (x, y) is in the solution set for that equation. That proves that the solution set for x+ y= 32 is a subset of the solution set for 2x+ 2y= 64. Now we have to do it the other way: if (x, y) is in the solution set for 2x+ 2y= 64, then they satisfy that equation. Dividing both sides by 2, x+ y= 32 so (x, y) is also in the solution set for that equaton and the solution set for 2x+ 2y= 64 is a subset of the solution set for x+ y= 32. Since each is a subset of the other, they are equal and the two equations are equivalent.

Related to What makes an equation equivalent to another?

1. What is an equivalent equation?

An equivalent equation is one that has the same solution or solutions as another equation. This means that if you were to solve both equations, you would get the same answer or set of answers.

2. How can you tell if two equations are equivalent?

You can tell if two equations are equivalent by comparing their properties. If the equations have the same variables, coefficients, and operations, and both sides of the equations are equal, then they are equivalent. You can also check if they have the same solutions by solving both equations and comparing the results.

3. What operations can you use to make an equation equivalent to another?

You can use the four basic operations - addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division - to make an equation equivalent to another. However, it is important to remember that whatever operation you perform on one side of the equation, you must also perform on the other side in order to maintain equivalence.

4. Can you change the order of terms in an equation to make it equivalent to another?

Yes, you can change the order of terms in an equation as long as you maintain the same operations and variables on both sides. This is known as the commutative property of addition and multiplication. However, you cannot rearrange terms if they are connected by subtraction or division.

5. How do you use inverse operations to make an equation equivalent to another?

Inverse operations are used to "undo" the operations in an equation. For example, if an equation has addition, you can use subtraction as the inverse operation to cancel out the addition. Similarly, if an equation has multiplication, you can use division as the inverse operation to cancel out the multiplication. By using inverse operations on both sides of the equation, you can create an equivalent equation.