What makes up an atom besides empty space?

• Thread starter PRodQuanta
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atom
In summary, the conversation discussed the composition of atoms, with only about 4% being matter and the rest being empty space. The speaker questioned whether this space was truly empty or if there was something else present. Another participant suggested that the space between matter points could be considered as force fields or particles.
PRodQuanta
I was having a little discussion with my teacher this evening, and I had a funny idea. I recalled that an atom is composed of something like 4% matter (be it protons, neutrons, electrons, quarks, gluons, ect...)and 96% empty space. I was thinking, and wondering, if it was all empty space, or if it was actually something else. Does anybody know much about this? Or am I way off track here. Any insight is appreciated.

Paden Roder

Physics news on Phys.org
Surely you could say that it is just distance between matter points.

Note that matter, due to QM, is not localized about any concrete point. And note that the force fields, filling these space, can also be seen as particles, due to corpuscle/wave duality.

Related to What makes up an atom besides empty space?

1. What is the concept of "nothingness" in regards to an atom?

The concept of "nothingness" in regards to an atom refers to the idea that atoms are mostly made up of empty space. This means that the majority of an atom's volume is occupied by the space between the nucleus and the electrons.

2. How do scientists know that atoms are mostly empty space?

Scientists have conducted experiments, such as the gold foil experiment, that showed that most of the alpha particles passed straight through the gold foil, indicating that the atoms were mostly empty space. Additionally, advancements in technology, such as electron microscopes, have allowed scientists to visualize the structure of atoms and confirm their mostly empty nature.

3. If atoms are mostly empty space, what makes up the rest of the space?

The rest of the space in an atom is occupied by the nucleus, which contains protons and neutrons, and the electrons, which orbit the nucleus. These particles are incredibly small, with protons and neutrons being about 100,000 times smaller than the atom itself and electrons being even smaller.

4. Does the concept of "nothingness" apply to all atoms?

Yes, the concept of "nothingness" applies to all atoms, regardless of their size or type. Even the largest atoms, such as uranium, are mostly made up of empty space.

5. How does the concept of "nothingness" in atoms impact our understanding of the world?

The concept of "nothingness" in atoms has greatly influenced our understanding of the world, particularly in the field of quantum mechanics. It has challenged our traditional understanding of matter and has led to groundbreaking discoveries and technologies, such as transistors and lasers, which have revolutionized modern society.