What material is best suited for making Chladni figures?

• B
  • Thread starter Juliette B
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Material
In summary: You may get a different response based on the material used due to the difference in the speed of sound in the material. Try both!In summary, the experiment may work, but one needs to be careful of dates when responding.
Juliette B
Hello! For an assignment I am planning to investigate the natural frequency modes of a circular membrane using the "Chladni technique". Usually, these Chladni plates are made out of metal, allowing them to be firm but still quite flexible. For my assignment I am planning on using a thin layer of plexiglass, however when I have a look around online I cannot find anyone else that have tried this and so I am a bit unsure whether this will work out.

Would using plexiglass be a good idea?

Physics news on Phys.org
Should work, waves travel through all solids. It is an interesting experiment though. You may get a different response based on the material used due to the difference in in the speed of sound in the material. Try both!

Likes Tom.G
Juliette B said:
Hello! For an assignment I am planning to investigate the natural frequency modes of a circular membrane using the "Chladni technique". Usually, these Chladni plates are made out of metal, allowing them to be firm but still quite flexible. For my assignment I am planning on using a thin layer of plexiglass, however when I have a look around online I cannot find anyone else that have tried this and so I am a bit unsure whether this will work out.

Did this experiment work?

One needs to pay attention to dates of posts when replying; this post is five years old.

Bystander said:
One needs to pay attention to dates of posts when replying; this post is five years old.
One needs not assume that the time of the thread was not observed. Time does not stop the inquisitive mind. What if by chance the original author received a notification via email with my question and said person decided to respond back? What if the revival of this thread would be seen by another person with a similar experiment and responded back with an aye or nay? What if 5 years from now someone responds to my question with affirmations regardless of my own lack of experimentation? What if?

Welcome to PF. :smile:

Audyn said:
One needs not assume that the time of the thread was not observed. Time does not stop the inquisitive mind. What if by chance the original author received a notification via email with my question and said person decided to respond back? What if the revival of this thread would be seen by another person with a similar experiment and responded back with an aye or nay? What if 5 years from now someone responds to my question with affirmations regardless of my own lack of experimentation? What if?

I think @Bystander was just looking out for you, to make sure you noticed the post date. In addition, if you click on the OP's avatar, you'll notice that they were only here for that one day in 2016 when they posted their question. Such a poster is very unlikely to respond 5 years later (my e-mail address has changed 4 times in the last 5 years, with no forwarding working anymore).

Useful replies to older posts are often appreciated, when they add value for others who will see the thread at a later time. Google leads all kinds of folks to PF for all kinds of topics and searches.

Enjoy PF. :smile:

Like me. Anyway: Experiment.

Also, JD Murray, in his (excellent) book, Mathematical Biology, uses Chladni plates shaped like animals in an explanation/hypothesis for the formation of things like leopard spots and rings on racoon tails. Experiment.

berkeman said:
you'll notice that they were only here for that one day in 2016 when they posted their question.
The beauty of a good forum like PF is the ageless quality of many threads. The OP posted and went off into the night but, like ripples on a pond, the thoughts propagated around PF and were regenerated. I don't really care if the OP is still interested. Like a cuckoo, the egg was laid and we, the overworked parents, are bringing the nestling to maturity.
On a technical level, I would expect a steel plate to work better than a plastic one because of the losses in plastic. With metal you could see the long lasting patterns when the excitation force is removed and the resonances would be better defined, I expect.
( PS Ever see a plastic cymbal??)

Juliette B said:

I like it. I don't know how I got here but i like it. ;)

Related to What material is best suited for making Chladni figures?

1. What is the purpose of making Chladni figures?

The purpose of making Chladni figures is to visualize the patterns that are created by sound waves on a flat surface. This can help in understanding the properties of different materials and how they respond to sound vibrations.

2. What materials can be used to make Chladni figures?

Any material that can vibrate in response to sound can be used to make Chladni figures. Common materials used include metal plates, glass, and even sand or salt on a flat surface.

3. What properties should the material have for making Chladni figures?

The material should have a relatively uniform thickness, be able to vibrate easily, and have a smooth surface. It should also be able to sustain the vibrations for a sufficient amount of time to create clear patterns.

4. Are there any materials that are not suitable for making Chladni figures?

Materials that are too thick or rigid, such as wood or thick plastic, may not produce clear and distinct patterns. Materials that are too thin or fragile, like paper, may be too sensitive to external disturbances and produce inconsistent patterns.

5. Can the same material produce different Chladni figures?

Yes, the same material can produce different Chladni figures depending on the frequency and intensity of the sound waves applied. The patterns may also vary depending on the shape and size of the vibrating surface.