What Math Do I Need to Know for Quantum Mechanics?

• Thread starter JasonRox
  • Start date
In summary, you should know calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. In summary, what should I know, and what do you wish you knew before going into QM.Thanks.You should know calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations.
JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I searched and all I could find is recommended texts.

I was just wondering was areas of mathematics should I know before cracking open a book on QM.

I know they give you pre-requisites and that can give some hints, but sometimes that isn't enough. I'm sure some students experience the I-wish-I-took-calculus-before-PHYS101.

In other words, what should I know, and what do you wish you knew before going into QM.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to know some calculus (derivatives, integrals, etc) and linear algebra, and you have to understand complex numbers.

When you understand everything that I wrote here, you're off to a good start. If you also learn a little about derivatives, integrals and complex numbers, you will be well prepared.

The ability to solve first order derivatives will be a huge advantage [hint: not all of them have solutions you can relate to reality].

JasonRox said:
In other words, what should I know, and what do you wish you knew before going into QM.

Thanks.

In the Beginning. . . I wished I knew all about Fourier Transforms, all of the basics from linear Algebra (inner product, bases, orthonormality, etc.), familiarity with the more common second-order differential equations, everything about Hilbert spaces and vector spaces (also found in linear algebra) bra-ket notation (very helpful wikipedia entry).

And I'm only on Chapter 1.

What I really wish I knew is where to find a QM text that doesn't assume one knows everything already :redface:

Good Luck, happy fishing!

danitaber, that's exactly I was looking for. I heard eigen values and vectors are part of it as well.

Um... sounds like I can start in a few months. :approve:

JasonRox said:
I searched and all I could find is recommended texts.

I was just wondering was areas of mathematics should I know before cracking open a book on QM.

I know they give you pre-requisites and that can give some hints, but sometimes that isn't enough. I'm sure some students experience the I-wish-I-took-calculus-before-PHYS101.

Thanks.

I'm going to be rather crude and shamelessly plug my Journal by suggesting that you read Part 3 of my "So You Want To Be A Physicist" essay. It's hard to pick a few parts of math and say you should know those to be able to do QM. It is much more prudent to arm yourself with as wide of a mathematical expertise as possible. The book that I recommend in that essay is something I have absolute confidence in, and I will be highly surprised if you don't find it useful, not just for QM, but for your other physics classes.

Zz.

Speaking of ZapperZ's Journal:
I always enjoy reading it. I will look for this book, even if I have to set aside cash for several months to actually buy it. I'm trusting your judgement with my limited funds, ZapperZ.

And, yes, eigenvectors, -values, and -spaces are in QM, too. Like, in the first paragraph. . .

Well, I think you should learn calculus first. Then a little linear algebra (with only real numbers).

But I don't think you should really go crazy and learn real analysis so you'll better understand calculus or go into linear algebra with complex numbers.

Instead, after calculus and real linear algebra, I recommend:

Shankar's Principles of Quantum Mechanics , 1st chapter (75 pages on the math you'll need to understand the rest of the book). I mean you could read what the mathematians are writing but you know mathematicians are kind of :smile: (on crack). Someone with experience in QM might be able to better emphasize the mathematics that are needed for QM. For example, if you check out a mathematics book on Hilbert spaces, then since the mathematical definition of a Hilbert space is a inner product space whose elements are all normalizable to unity, you won't be able to work with continuous eigenstates in physics (like position or momentum eigenstates), because those are only normalizable to the delta(0). Shankar talks about both.

Last edited:
danitaber said:
Speaking of ZapperZ's Journal:
I always enjoy reading it. I will look for this book, even if I have to set aside cash for several months to actually buy it. I'm trusting your judgement with my limited funds, ZapperZ.

And, yes, eigenvectors, -values, and -spaces are in QM, too. Like, in the first paragraph. . .

Thank you.

Just to convince you a bit more, the book contains a chapter on unitary transformation that is frequently used in QM. For example, given a 2x2 matrix, how do you go about finding the eigenvalues of that matrix? After you found it, how do you find the eigenvectors? And then how do you unitarily transform it to that particular eigenstate.

Beyond that, this is one of the few books that has a complete chapter on calculus of variation. If you have done this, you would never be puzzled on where and how the Lagrangian/Hamiltonian formulation of classical mechanics came from.

You won't be sorry.

Zz.

Related to What Math Do I Need to Know for Quantum Mechanics?

1. What level of math is required for studying Quantum Mechanics?

The level of math required for studying Quantum Mechanics is typically advanced undergraduate or graduate level mathematics, including linear algebra, differential equations, and calculus.

2. Do I need to know complex numbers for Quantum Mechanics?

Yes, understanding complex numbers is essential for studying Quantum Mechanics. Quantum mechanics deals with wave functions, which are complex-valued functions.

3. Is knowledge of vector calculus necessary for Quantum Mechanics?

Yes, vector calculus is an important tool for solving problems in Quantum Mechanics. It is used to describe the behavior of particles in three-dimensional space.

4. Can I study Quantum Mechanics without a strong background in math?

It is not recommended to study Quantum Mechanics without a strong background in math. A solid understanding of advanced math concepts is necessary to fully comprehend the principles and equations of Quantum Mechanics.

5. What specific math topics should I focus on for studying Quantum Mechanics?

Some of the key math topics to focus on for studying Quantum Mechanics include linear algebra, differential equations, vector calculus, and complex numbers. It is also helpful to have a strong understanding of probability and statistics.