What math is needed in Electrical Engineer

In summary, the speaker is wondering if the topics in a first course of linear algebra and complex analysis are useful for an electrical engineer. They mention that they already know the basics of linear algebra and complex numbers, but are unsure if the more theoretical topics will be used in EE. They also mention their interest in graduate work and ask about the usefulness of these courses in the short term. The listener responds by saying that advanced linear algebra may be used in control systems and that complex analysis is useful in dsp and controls, but it ultimately depends on the teacher and their specific curriculum. They also mention that while they haven't had to use residue calculus in EE, they still found the class to be enjoyable.
Chunkysalsa
Specifically I'm looking at linear algebra, which topics in a first course of that class is useful to an electrical engineer. I'm taking the class right now and it feels like all the useful stuff (solving equations, matrix manipulation, etc) I already knew prior to this class. All the other stuff seems more theoretical and I'm wondering if these topics are ever used in EE.

Not that I mind either way, I took the class because I enjoy math not because I thought it might be useful.

The same goes for Complex analysis, I work with complex numbers often but never anything fancy (simple algebraic manipulation usually). Will I gain anything useful to EE by taking the class.

I'm talking mostly about undergraduate level for everything, I am interested in graduate EE work because I'm still undecided whether I wish to go but I'm specifically wondering about my short term.

Physics news on Phys.org
Chunkysalsa said:
Specifically I'm looking at linear algebra, which topics in a first course of that class is useful to an electrical engineer. I'm taking the class right now and it feels like all the useful stuff (solving equations, matrix manipulation, etc) I already knew prior to this class. All the other stuff seems more theoretical and I'm wondering if these topics are ever used in EE.

Not that I mind either way, I took the class because I enjoy math not because I thought it might be useful.

The same goes for Complex analysis, I work with complex numbers often but never anything fancy (simple algebraic manipulation usually). Will I gain anything useful to EE by taking the class.

I'm talking mostly about undergraduate level for everything, I am interested in graduate EE work because I'm still undecided whether I wish to go but I'm specifically wondering about my short term.

You might use more advanced linear algebra in control systems, depends on the teacher though; at least at my school the stuff you say you already knew is about most of what you use in EE.

Complex variables is useful in dsp and controls, conformal mapping is used in both, I have yet to have to solve integrals with residue calculus in EE but you never know; I sometimes think I should've taken numerical analysis in place of complex but it was a fun class if nothing else.

FAQ: What math is needed in Electrical Engineer

1. What is the relationship between math and electrical engineering?

Math is crucial in electrical engineering as it helps engineers understand and analyze various electrical systems and components. From circuit analysis and design to signal processing and control systems, math is used to model and solve problems in electrical engineering.

2. What specific areas of math are important for electrical engineers?

The most important areas of math for electrical engineers include calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and complex analysis. These mathematical concepts are used to solve problems in areas such as circuit analysis, electromagnetics, and control systems.

3. How does calculus relate to electrical engineering?

Calculus is used in electrical engineering to analyze and design circuits, which are the building blocks of electrical systems. It helps engineers understand the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in a circuit and how these variables change over time.

4. Why is linear algebra important for electrical engineers?

Linear algebra is used to solve systems of linear equations, which are commonly encountered in electrical engineering problems. It is also used to analyze and design control systems, which are used to regulate and maintain the performance of electrical systems.

5. Is a strong math background necessary to become an electrical engineer?

A strong foundation in math is essential for success in electrical engineering. It is important to have a solid understanding of mathematical concepts and the ability to apply them to real-world problems. However, with dedication and hard work, anyone can improve their math skills and become a successful electrical engineer.