What method can be used to solve this pde?

• I
  • Thread starter MAGNIBORO
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method Pde
In summary, the conversation is about a mathematical problem involving the integral $I(a,b) = \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-ax^{2}-\frac{b}{x^2}}$ and its properties. The conversation discusses different methods, such as differentiation under the integral sign, substitution, and integration by parts, to solve the problem. The use of a software program to solve the problem is also mentioned. The conversation then delves into the topic of solving PDEs using ODEs, with the participants discussing different methods and equations that could be used. Overall, the conversation highlights the complexity and challenges of solving mathematical problems involving PDEs.
MAGNIBORO
hi, i know a little bit of ODE but not much about PDE,Some math programs give me the solution but I would like to know what methods they use.

The problem is the following:
$$I(a,b) = \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-ax^{2}-\frac{b}{x^2}}$$

through differentiation under the integral sign, substitution and integration by parts, we can find this properties.

$$I(a,b) = -\sqrt{\frac{b}{a}}\, \left ( \frac{\partial }{\partial b}I(a,b) \right )=-\frac{2a}{1+2\sqrt{ab}} \left ( \frac{\partial }{\partial a} I(a,b)\right )$$

and the condition

$$I(a,0) = \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{\pi }{a}}$$then using a softfware:

$$I(a,b) = -\sqrt{\frac{b}{a}}\, \left ( \frac{\partial }{\partial b}I(a,b) \right )$$
$$I(a,b) = f(a)\, e^{-2\sqrt{ab}}$$

now with the other equation

$$I(a,b) = -\frac{2a}{1+2\sqrt{ab}} \left ( \frac{\partial }{\partial a} I(a,b)\right )$$
$$I(a,b) = g(b)\, \frac{e^{-2\sqrt{ab}}}{\sqrt{a}}$$

comparing the 2 equations and considering the condition I(a,0) we get

$$I(a,b) = \frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2} \frac{e^{-2\sqrt{ab}}}{\sqrt{a}}$$To fully understand the development, I would like to know what methods use the program to solve the 2 pde
thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
MAGNIBORO said:
I would like to know what methods use the program to solve the 2 pde
Having got to this:
##I(a,b) = -\sqrt{\frac{b}{a}}\, \left ( \frac{\partial }{\partial b}I(a,b) \right )##
we can treat it as an ODE in Ia(b).
##I_a=-I_a'\sqrt{\frac ba}##
##\frac{dI_a}{I_a}=-\sqrt{\frac ab}db##

haruspex said:
Having got to this:
##I(a,b) = -\sqrt{\frac{b}{a}}\, \left ( \frac{\partial }{\partial b}I(a,b) \right )##
we can treat it as an ODE in Ia(b).
##I_a=-I_a'\sqrt{\frac ba}##
##\frac{dI_a}{I_a}=-\sqrt{\frac ab}db##
wow, if we suppose "fix variables" we can "transform" pde into ode, very impressive

MAGNIBORO said:
wow, if we suppose "fix variables" we can "transform" pde into ode, very impressive
PDEs are only significantly tougher than ODEs when derivatives wrt different independent variables occur in the same equation.

Likes MAGNIBORO
haruspex said:
PDEs are only significantly tougher than ODEs when derivatives wrt different independent variables occur in the same equation.
ok, I find this quite useful To solve the "camouflaged pde".
the function ##I(a,b)## also satisfies the equation
$$I(a,b) = \frac{\partial^2 }{\partial a\, \partial b} I(a,b)$$
If I had tried to solve the problem by this equation, It would be a difficult problem or there is some method to solve it?
thanks

MAGNIBORO said:
ok, I find this quite useful To solve the "camouflaged pde".
the function ##I(a,b)## also satisfies the equation
$$I(a,b) = \frac{\partial^2 }{\partial a\, \partial b} I(a,b)$$
If I had tried to solve the problem by this equation, It would be a difficult problem or there is some method to solve it?
thanks
I think there should be a minus sign in there, but that's beside the point.
Although the equation is true, it is only one equation instead of two, so may well have extra solutions. Indeed, it is symmetric in a and b, whereas your original equation pair is not, and neither is the solution you already have.

I tried separation of variables... I did get solutions like ##k_ne^{\lambda_n a-b/\lambda_n}##, but it is not obvious how a sum of those with different parameters would recreate your original solution.

Likes MAGNIBORO
One can obtain solutions of the form [itex](Ae^a + Be^b)f(a + b)[/itex] where [itex]f'' + f' - f = 0[/itex] so that [tex]
f(z) = Ce^{\frac12 z}\cosh\left(\frac{\sqrt{5}}{2}z\right) + De^{\frac12 z}\sinh\left(\frac{\sqrt{5}}{2}z\right)[/tex]
or [itex](Ae^a + Be^b)g(a-b)[/itex] where [itex]g'' + g' + g = 0[/itex] so that [tex]
g(z) = Ce^{\frac12 z}\cos\left(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}z\right) + De^{\frac12 z}\sin\left(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}z\right).[/tex]

pasmith said:
One can obtain solutions of the form [itex](Ae^a + Be^b)f(a + b)[/itex] where [itex]f'' + f' - f = 0[/itex] so that [tex]
f(z) = Ce^{\frac12 z}\cosh\left(\frac{\sqrt{5}}{2}z\right) + De^{\frac12 z}\sinh\left(\frac{\sqrt{5}}{2}z\right)[/tex]
or [itex](Ae^a + Be^b)g(a-b)[/itex] where [itex]g'' + g' + g = 0[/itex] so that [tex]
g(z) = Ce^{\frac12 z}\cos\left(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}z\right) + De^{\frac12 z}\sin\left(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}z\right).[/tex]

For what pde are this solutions?

Related to What method can be used to solve this pde?

1. What is a PDE?

A PDE, or partial differential equation, is an equation that involves multiple independent variables and their partial derivatives. It is a mathematical tool used to describe physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What is the difference between an ordinary differential equation and a partial differential equation?

An ordinary differential equation (ODE) involves only one independent variable and its derivatives, while a partial differential equation (PDE) involves multiple independent variables and their partial derivatives. ODEs are used to describe systems that evolve in time, while PDEs are used to describe systems that evolve in both space and time.

3. What are some common methods used to solve PDEs?

Some common methods used to solve PDEs include separation of variables, method of characteristics, finite difference methods, and spectral methods. The appropriate method to use depends on the type of PDE and the specific problem being solved.

4. Can numerical methods be used to solve PDEs?

Yes, numerical methods such as finite difference methods, finite element methods, and spectral methods can be used to solve PDEs. These methods involve approximating the solution to the PDE using a discrete set of points or elements, and then solving the resulting system of equations.

5. How do I know which method to use for a specific PDE?

The choice of method for solving a PDE depends on several factors, including the type of PDE (e.g. elliptic, parabolic, hyperbolic), the boundary conditions, and the desired accuracy of the solution. It is important to carefully analyze the problem and select the most appropriate method for the specific PDE at hand.