What methods can be used for finding a quadratic curve?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a quadratic curve between two points using known x and y values. The suggested method is to set up a system of linear equations and solve for the unknown coefficients. Other functions that can be used for curve fitting are also mentioned.
Bob Smith
I'll be honest, I don't understand most of what's going on in this forum, so forgive me if this isn't the right place.

I'm trying to extrapolate a quadratic curve between two points (my x values). These are known, as are the corresponding y values and the y' (or dy/dx if you prefer) values.

Much as I like working things out on my own, I'm not sure where to start on this. Other than trial and error, what methods are there for working this out?

It's been a couple of years since I studied maths properly so I'm kinda rusty to say the least.

Cheers

Bob

Physics news on Phys.org
Set up a system of linear equations. In general a quadratic relation has the form

y = Ax^2 + Bx + C

Let's say I want the quadratic to go through three points, (2, 1), (3,1), and (0, 2). Just plug the three points into the equation:

1 = 4A + 2B + C
1 = 9A + 3B + C
2 = C

and solve. In your case it will be a little different because you will be using the derivative as well, but the principle is precisely the same.

Last edited:
Ahh excellent thanks, got it working now. :smile:

"Curve fitting". You can also try many other functions like:

y = A*x (Proportional)
y = m*x + b (Linear)
y = a*x^2 + b*x + c (Quadratic)
y = A + B*x + C*x^2 + D*x^3 + .. (Polynomial)
y = A*x^B (Power)
y = A/x (Inverse)
y = A*exp(-C*x) + B (Natural Exponent)
y = A*ln(B*x) (Natural Logarithm)
y = A*10^(B*x) (Base-10 Exponent)
y = A*sin(B*x+C)+D (Sine)
y = 1/(sqrt(2*3.14159)*S)*exp(-(x-M)^2/(2*S^2)) (Normalized Gaussian)
y = A*exp(-(x-B)^2/(C^2))+D (Gaussian)

Related to What methods can be used for finding a quadratic curve?

1. What is a quadratic curve?

A quadratic curve is a type of mathematical curve that follows the form of a quadratic equation, which can be written as y = ax^2 + bx + c. It is a U-shaped curve that is commonly used to model various physical and natural phenomena.

2. How do you find the equation of a quadratic curve?

To find the equation of a quadratic curve, you need to have three points on the curve. You can then use these points to create a system of three equations with three unknowns (a, b, and c). By solving this system, you can determine the values of a, b, and c, and thus, find the equation of the quadratic curve.

3. What are the key features of a quadratic curve?

The key features of a quadratic curve are its vertex, axis of symmetry, and y-intercept. The vertex is the highest or lowest point on the curve, depending on whether the parabola opens upward or downward. The axis of symmetry is a vertical line that divides the parabola into two symmetrical halves. The y-intercept is the point where the curve crosses the y-axis.

4. How do you determine the direction of a quadratic curve?

The direction of a quadratic curve is determined by the sign of the coefficient of the x^2 term. If the coefficient is positive, the parabola opens upward, and if it is negative, the parabola opens downward.

5. What are some real-world applications of quadratic curves?

Quadratic curves are commonly used in physics and engineering to model the motion of objects under the influence of gravity. They are also used in economics to analyze cost and revenue functions. In architecture, quadratic curves can be used to design arches and parabolic structures. Additionally, quadratic curves are used in computer graphics to create smooth and realistic 3D surfaces.

Back