What mistake did I make in my time-dependent force problem solution?

• Thread starter Loststudent22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary: When you integrate, you should always use the same order of operations, and the parentheses should always go on the left side.
Loststudent22

Homework Statement

A time-dependent force,
Fvecbold.gif
= (9.60
ihatbold.gif
− 4.10t
jhatbold.gif
), where
Fvecbold.gif
is in Newtons and t is in seconds, is exerted on a 2.00-kg object initially at rest. (a) At what time will the object be moving with a speed of 15.0 m/s?

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for a then integrated that and got 4.8t-1.025t^2

Set it equal 15 squared both sides to eliminate the square root when solving for the magnitude and finally got 23.04t^2-1.05t^4 -225=0 and can't solve it. So I must have made some mistake.

[ URLs fixed by a mentor ]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Loststudent22, you didn't have the correct URLs for the i and j characters at your webassign site. I fixed them.

Next time you can try latex. ##{\hat{i}}\ {\hat{j}}##

Last edited:
They were the I and J hat vector components. I will have to look into latex I"m not familiar with it yet. I'll trying using a picture next time for the question and my work.

Loststudent22 said:
Set it equal 15 squared both sides to eliminate the square root when solving for the magnitude and finally got 23.04t^2-1.05t^4 -225=0 and can't solve it. So I must have made some mistake.
Have you tried a substitution for t? You should be able to turn the equation into a quadratic...

I plugged the equation into wolfram to solve for t and it didn't give a answer

Loststudent22 said:
I plugged the equation into wolfram to solve for t and it didn't give a answer
You have:

23.04t^2-1.05t^4 -225=0

Let : x = t^2

Write the equation in terms of x. Can you solve that?

Yeah it doesn't work it gives an answer with imaginary numbers. I pulled out my 89 and it just says false when I try to use the solve function. Is it possible the online assignment gave me numbers that don't work nicely or I must have made some mistake.

Loststudent22 said:
Yeah it doesn't work it gives an answer with imaginary numbers. I pulled out my 89 and it just says false when I try to use the solve function. Is it possible the online assignment gave me numbers that don't work nicely or I must have made some mistake.
So you should revisit how you derived your equation. Lay out the steps so we can take a look.

F=ma
a=4.8-2.05t=dv/dt
To arrive at an equation for the instantaneous velocity of object I integrate the above equation

V=4.8t +c1-1.025t^2+c2

The object is at rest when t = 0 s. so c1=c2=0

When V=15 m/s

The magnitude of V=15=√(4.8t)^2+(1.025t^2)^2

I square both sides to eliminate the square root and got the equation I'm having trouble with

Loststudent22 said:
F=ma
a=4.8-2.05t=dv/dt
To arrive at an equation for the instantaneous velocity of object I integrate the above equation

V=4.8t +c1-1.025t^2+c2

The object is at rest when t = 0 s. so c1=c2=0

When V=15 m/s

The magnitude of V=15=√(4.8t)^2+(1.025t^2)^2

I square both sides to eliminate the square root and got the equation I'm having trouble with
Really? Because I spot a sign difference right away.

Haha woops I see now + instead of -

Thanks

FAQ: What mistake did I make in my time-dependent force problem solution?

What is a time-dependent force problem?

A time-dependent force problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the motion of an object under the influence of a force that changes over time. This can include forces such as gravity, friction, or electromagnetic forces.

Why are time-dependent force problems important?

Time-dependent force problems are important because they help us understand the behavior of objects in the real world. Many forces that act on objects are not constant, and being able to accurately calculate their effects is crucial for engineering and scientific applications.

How do you solve a time-dependent force problem?

To solve a time-dependent force problem, you will need to use calculus and the laws of motion to determine the position, velocity, and acceleration of the object at different points in time. This involves setting up and solving equations that take into account the changing force.

What are some common examples of time-dependent force problems?

Some common examples of time-dependent force problems include calculating the trajectory of a projectile under the influence of air resistance, determining the motion of a pendulum as it slows down due to friction, and predicting the path of a satellite as it orbits around a planet.

What are some tips for solving time-dependent force problems?

Some tips for solving time-dependent force problems include carefully defining the variables and equations, taking into account all relevant forces, and breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. It can also be helpful to draw diagrams and graphs to visualize the motion of the object.

Back