What Must the New Orbital Radius Be to Increase the Period to 8T?

In summary, the orbital radius and period have an inverse relationship, meaning that as the orbital radius increases, the period decreases, and vice versa. The mass of an object does not affect its orbital radius, but it does affect its period, with a greater mass resulting in a longer period. The formula for calculating orbital radius is r = √(GM/p²), and the orbital radius and period can be used to determine the mass of an object by rearranging the formula. Elliptical orbits do not affect the relationship between orbital radius and period, but they can cause variations in the values as the object moves along the ellipse.
cheeselover87

Homework Statement

a satellite has a period of T and orbital radius R. If you wish to increase the period to 8T what must the new orbital radius be. (answer= 4T, I just don't know how they got it)

Homework Equations

R1 cubed/ T1 squared = R2 cubed/ T2 squared

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer i got was 8

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You've got 1. so far. 2 and 3?

That sounds reasonable.

Check calculation again.

blacknovember said:
That sounds reasonable.

Check calculation again.

Yeeeeah. I think he may have handed that assignment in by now...

T, but after looking at the given answer of 4T, I realized that I made a mistake in my calculations. The correct solution can be found by using the formula R1 cubed/ T1 squared = R2 cubed/ T2 squared. In this case, we are looking for the new orbital radius (R2) when the period is increased to 8T. Therefore, we can rearrange the formula to solve for R2, which gives us the equation R2 = (T2 squared/T1 squared) x R1 cubed. Plugging in the values of T2 = 8T and T1 = T, we get R2 = (8T squared/T squared) x R1 cubed. Simplifying this further, we get R2 = 64R1 cubed/T squared. Since the period is directly proportional to the radius, we can also write this as R2 = 64R1 cubed/T1 squared. From this equation, we can see that the new orbital radius (R2) will be 64 times the original orbital radius (R1). Therefore, if we want to increase the period to 8T, the new orbital radius must be 64 times the original orbital radius, which is equivalent to 4T. This is how the answer of 4T is obtained.

Related to What Must the New Orbital Radius Be to Increase the Period to 8T?

1. What is the relationship between orbital radius and period?

The orbital radius and period are inversely proportional to each other. This means that as the orbital radius increases, the period of the orbit decreases, and vice versa.

2. How does the mass of an object affect its orbital radius and period?

The mass of an object does not affect its orbital radius, but it does affect its period. The greater the mass of an object, the longer its period will be.

3. What is the formula for calculating orbital radius?

The formula for calculating orbital radius is r = √(GM/p²), where r is the orbital radius, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the larger object, and p is the period of the orbit.

4. Can the orbital radius and period be used to determine the mass of an object?

Yes, the orbital radius and period can be used to determine the mass of an object. By rearranging the formula for orbital radius, we can solve for the mass of the larger object, M = rp²/G.

5. How do elliptical orbits affect the relationship between orbital radius and period?

Elliptical orbits do not affect the relationship between orbital radius and period. The inverse relationship still holds true, but the orbital radius and period will vary as the object moves closer to or farther away from the center of the ellipse.