What % of Energy Needs to Be Carbon-Free to Stabilize at 450 ppm?

• Thread starter TheMathNoob
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, to stabilize the atmosphere at 450 ppm, 14.7 terawatts of carbon-free power will be required in 2050.
TheMathNoob

Homework Statement

Today, globally, only 2% of our energy comes from carbon-free energy sources. If we continue economic and population growth in a business-as-usual scenario, what % of our energy needs to come from carbon-free sources if we want to stabilize our atmosphere at 450 ppm? [Use your answer from Q4, to calculate the %].
Answer from Q4= 14.7 tetrawatts are required to stabilize at 450ppm in 2050

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I really think that I have to find the amount of energy that carbon-free sources have in average.
I am using this model http://forecast.uchicago.edu/kaya.html

Physics news on Phys.org
TheMathNoob said:
Answer from Q4= 14.7 tetrawatts are required to stabilize at 450ppm in 2050

What is Q4?

billy_joule said:
What is Q4?
sorry question 4. Question 4 asked me to find the required energy to stabilize the atmosphere at 450ppm in 2050. I did that with the model of the link in the description.

TheMathNoob said:
sorry question 4. Question 4 asked me to find the required energy to stabilize the atmosphere at 450ppm in 2050. I did that with the model of the link in the description.

It doesn't require energy to stabilize atmospheric C content (and your answer isn't energy either..)
Can you post the question word for word? It's hard to offer assistance without the full story.

billy_joule said:
It doesn't require energy to stabilize atmospheric C content (and your answer isn't energy either..)
Can you post the question word for word? It's hard to offer assistance without the full story.
That's the whole question. I calculated the 14.7 tetrawatts by using the model in the description of the problem. If you set the model in the mode carbon-free energy needed , you will realize that in 2050, 14.7 tetrawatts of energy are required to stabilize the atmosphere at 450ppm.

TheMathNoob said:
That's the whole question. I calculated the 14.7 tetrawatts by using the model in the description of the problem. If you set the model in the mode carbon-free energy needed , you will realize that in 2050, 14.7 tetrawatts of energy are required to stabilize the atmosphere at 450ppm.
14.7 Terawatts of power.
The problem would be more accurately stated as something like:
'To maintain projected global power consumption and also stabilize C at 450ppm how much carbon free power must be produced in 2050?'

Anyway, I get 7.144 Terawatts, which may be because we are using different growth rates, I left them at the default, all zero.

Back to your original question; To find what percent of C free power is of total power; You know C free power already and the total power can be found on the (mislabelled) total energy production graph.

billy_joule said:
14.7 Terawatts of power.
The problem would be more accurately stated as something like:
'To maintain projected global power consumption and also stabilize C at 450ppm how much carbon free power must be produced in 2050?'

Anyway, I get 7.144 Terawatts, which may be because we are using different growth rates, I left them at the default, all zero.

Back to your original question; To find what percent of C free power is of total power; You know C free power already and the total power can be found on the (mislabelled) total energy production graph.
Thanks!

Related to What % of Energy Needs to Be Carbon-Free to Stabilize at 450 ppm?

1. What are fossil fuels?

Fossil fuels are natural resources formed from the remains of plants and animals that lived millions of years ago. They include coal, oil, and natural gas.

2. How are fossil fuels formed?

Fossil fuels are formed through a process that takes millions of years. First, plants and animals die and their remains sink to the bottom of oceans or lakes. Layers of sediment and rock cover the remains, and over time, heat and pressure from the Earth's crust turn them into fossil fuels.

3. How are fossil fuels used to produce energy?

Fossil fuels are used to produce energy through combustion, which involves burning them to release heat. This heat is then converted into electricity through turbines or used to power vehicles and machinery.

4. What are the environmental impacts of using fossil fuels?

The use of fossil fuels has significant environmental impacts, including air pollution, water pollution, and greenhouse gas emissions that contribute to climate change. The extraction of fossil fuels can also harm ecosystems and wildlife.

5. Can renewable energy sources replace fossil fuels?

It is possible for renewable energy sources such as solar, wind, and hydropower to replace fossil fuels as the primary source of energy. However, this transition will require significant investments in infrastructure and technology, as well as changes in consumer and government behavior.