What particles make up an atom?

HFrame.htmlIn summary, the conversation discusses the structure of atoms and how the number of protons and neutrons determine the charge and type of element. It also suggests resources for further understanding, such as textbooks and online videos.
Hose way or joshua
I'm trying to find a way to understand Q.P.
So far I know that each element contains as many protons as it does nuetrons or electrons. Is that right?
Derp lol

Physics news on Phys.org
Hose way or joshua said:
So far I know that each element contains as many protons as it does nuetrons or electrons. Is that right?
No. For instance, hydrogen usually does not contain neutrons at all.

An atom is made up of a nucleus, which is positively charged, surrounded by electrons. The nucleus is made up of protons and neutrons (with the exception of regular hydrogen, as pointed out by Demystifier). The number of protons, known as the atomic number, determines the charge of the nucleus and the element (hydrogen, helium, carbon, etc.) The number of protons and neutrons determine the isotope. For a neutral atom, the number of negatively charged electrons must be equal to the number of positively charged protons in the nucleus.

Depending on your level, I suggest that you get a good textbook in physics. There are also many instructive videos on YouTube. Hyperphysics is also a good resource: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu

FAQ: What particles make up an atom?

1. What are the basic building blocks of an atom?

The basic building blocks of an atom are protons, neutrons, and electrons.

2. How many particles make up an atom?

An atom is primarily composed of protons, neutrons, and electrons. However, there are also other particles such as quarks, gluons, and neutrinos that make up an atom.

3. What is the charge of an atom?

An atom has a neutral charge, meaning that it has an equal number of positively charged particles (protons) and negatively charged particles (electrons).

4. How are particles arranged within an atom?

Protons and neutrons are located in the nucleus, or center, of an atom. Electrons are found in orbitals, or energy levels, surrounding the nucleus.

5. Can particles be added or removed from an atom?

Yes, particles can be added or removed from an atom through processes such as nuclear reactions or ionization. However, the number of protons in an atom determines its element and cannot be changed without changing the identity of the atom.

Back