What Physics Concepts Are Applied in These Real-World Scenarios?

• Thread starter Blake411
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses various physics problems involving concepts such as friction, momentum, impulse, and force. The first problem involves calculating the distance a hockey puck will slide before coming to rest on ice with a given coefficient of kinetic friction. The second problem involves finding the impulse exerted on a baseball and the average force exerted on it when it is hit by a bat. The third problem involves finding the velocity of a wood block sliding up a ramp with a given coefficient of kinetic friction. The final problem discusses a collision between two players and finding the final velocity and direction of the two. The chapter being covered is likely to cover concepts such as impulse, momentum, collisions, and possibly work.
Blake411
I read the forum rules etc and says you can't do these for me but was wondering if you could suggest what equations/steps to use for them? starting a new chapter and having trouble knowing what to start with, ill do the math myself :smile:

1. A hockey puck is moving across the ice at 4.0 m/s. If the coefficient of kenetic friction is 0.030 how far will the puck slide before coming to rest?

2. A pitcher throws a baseball at 30.0 m/s towards a batter. The batter hits the ball back at a velocity of 65.0 m/s. The ball is in contact with the bat for 0.0018 seconds and has a mass of 140 grams.

A) What is the impulse exerted on the ball?

B) What avergae force is exerted on the ball?

3. A ramp is 2.50 meters long and 0.38 meters high. A wood block is slid up the ramp from the bottom at an initial velocity of 4.00 m/s. If the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.25, what is the velocity of the block at the top of the ramp?

4. An 80.0 kg quarterback is running at 8.0 m/s in the positive "x" direction. He is hit by a 120 kg tackle running at 6.5 m/s at an angle of 40.0 degrees. The two collide and move together, the tackle being careful not to let go of his grip. What is the final velocity and direction of the two?

Physics news on Phys.org
What concepts does the chapter cover, obviously impulse and momenta change, what about work?

1. The only force acting on the puck is the force of friction, that slows it down.
So Ff=µ*Fn=µ*Fg=µ*m*g
Also F=m*a
So from the above two equations:
µ*m*g=m*a
µ*g=a
From here you can find out the acceleration, which should actually be negative (deceleration).
You know the initial speed (Vo = 4.0 m/s), the final speed (v=0) and the acceleration.
There is a formula that will get you the distance from all this data.

2. a) Impulse is change in momentum. So find out the final momentum (m*v2) and subtract the initial momentum (m*v). The second velocity is negative, as it goes in the opposite direction.
b) F=impulse/t

Last edited:
chapter covers also elastic/inelastic collisions, might have some work combined into it
thanks a bunch huskey for the help, figured out #1 i think check it out=

(coefficient of friction)*g=a
(0.030)*(-9.80 m/s^2) = a
a= -0.294 m/s^2

Vf^2 = Vo^2 +2as
0= (4.0 m/s)^2 + 2(-0.294)s
-16.0 m^2/s^2 = -0.588 m/s^2 (s)
s = 27.2 m

that look alright?

#2-

a)
Pf= P1-P2
Pf= (m*v1) - (m*v2)
Pf= (0.140 kg)(30.0 m/s) - (0.140 kg)(65.0 m/s)
Pf= (4.2 kg*m/s) - (9.1 kg*m/s)
Pf= -4.9 kg*m/s = impulse?

b)
F= impulse/t
F= (-4.9 kg*m/s)/(0.0018s)
F= 2722.2 N

thanks again, help with other 2 problems would be sweet!

Last edited:
First one yes. But there are only two significant figures so: 27 m.
Second one, no.
It is final - initial, not initial - final. Also the final has a negative value, as the velocity is in the opposite direction.
You would have -9.1-4.2=-13.3
Or 13.3 in the negative direction. You only have 2 significant figures so the answer would be -13.
The force also has a negative value as it pushes the ball in the negative direction. F= -7400 N (two significant figures).

Related to What Physics Concepts Are Applied in These Real-World Scenarios?

1. How do I begin my experiment or study?

Before starting your experiment or study, it is important to have a clear and well-defined research question or hypothesis. This will guide your research and help you determine what data you need to collect and how to analyze it. It is also important to familiarize yourself with any relevant literature or previous studies on the topic.

2. What materials or equipment do I need to start?

The materials and equipment needed for your experiment or study will vary depending on your research question. Make sure to thoroughly plan and list out all the materials and equipment needed before starting. If you are unsure, consult with a more experienced colleague or a lab technician for guidance.

3. How do I ensure the validity and reliability of my results?

To ensure the validity and reliability of your results, it is important to control for any confounding variables and to use appropriate research methods and techniques. It is also a good idea to have a control group and to replicate your experiment or study multiple times to ensure consistent results. Additionally, using statistical analysis can help determine the significance of your results.

4. What should I do if I encounter any problems or unexpected results?

It is common to encounter problems or unexpected results during a scientific study. It is important to carefully document these issues and to troubleshoot potential causes. If you are unable to resolve the issue, consult with your colleagues or supervisor for assistance. Remember to stay flexible and adapt your methods if needed.

5. How do I interpret and present my findings?

Interpreting and presenting your findings is a crucial aspect of scientific research. Make sure to carefully analyze your data and draw conclusions based on your research question and hypothesis. When presenting your findings, use clear and concise language and include visual aids such as graphs or tables to help convey your results. It is also important to properly cite any relevant sources or studies that support your findings.