What Price Maximizes Profit for Snax-Treat Sales at the Corner Store?

• Thread starter cscott
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
If the price is reduced by 14.5 cents, the price is $3.29- 14.5= $3.145 and the number of bags sold per week is 240+ 34.8= 274.8. If the price is reduced by 15 cents, the price is $3.29- 15= $3.14 and the number of bags sold per week is 240+ 35= 275. Which of those gives the maximum profit?In summary, the local corner store currently sells 240 bags weekly of Snax-Treat at a price of $3.29 each. With sales predictions indicating that each 25 cent decrease in price will increase sales by
cscott
The local corner store currently sells 240 bags weekly of Snax-Treat at a price of $3.29 each. Sales predictions indicate that each 25 cent decrease in price will increase sales by 60 bags weekly. If the store pays $2.00 for each bag, what prices will maximize profit?

--

[tex]P(x) = (240 + 60x)[(3.29 - 2.00) - 0.25x] = -15x^2 + 17.4x + 309.6[/tex]

A maximum at 0.58. If I round up to 1 beacuse [itex]x \epsilon N[/itex] then the price must be 3.04 to maximize profit?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you have to assume that x is an integer.

But if you do, rounding is the right thing to do -- but the reason is nontrivial. Can you explain why? (p.s. I'm assuming you found the maximum correctly)

Now that you mention it, and after I re-read the question, it isn't that great of an assumption.

cscott said:
The local corner store currently sells 240 bags weekly of Snax-Treat at a price of $3.29 each. Sales predictions indicate that each 25 cent decrease in price will increase sales by 60 bags weekly. If the store pays $2.00 for each bag, what prices will maximize profit?

--

[tex]P(x) = (240 + 60x)[(3.29 - 2.00) - 0.25x] = -15x^2 + 17.4x + 309.6[/tex]

A maximum at 0.58. If I round up to 1 beacuse [itex]x \epsilon N[/itex] then the price must be 3.04 to maximize profit?

One thing I strongly recommend you do is write down explicitely what your variable represents! It was not immediately obvious to me from your equation what x represents nor why x should be an integer (especially if you get x= 0.58 for a maximum!).

I think, if I interpret your equation correctly, that x is the number of "60 bag" increases in sale per week and so also the number of "25 cent" reductions in price. If you got x=0.58 for this, then that means a reduction in price of 0.58(25)= 14.5 with an increase in sales of 0.58(60)= 34.8. You might want to check whether a reduction in price of 14 or 15 cents doesn't give the maximum.

Related to What Price Maximizes Profit for Snax-Treat Sales at the Corner Store?

1. What is a composite function?

A composite function is a mathematical function that is formed by combining two or more functions. The output of one function becomes the input of the other function.

2. How do you find the domain of a composite function?

To find the domain of a composite function, you need to consider the domains of each individual function that make up the composite. The domain of the composite function will be the intersection of the domains of the individual functions.

3. What is the difference between a composite function and a regular function?

A regular function takes an input and directly produces an output. A composite function takes an input, feeds it through multiple functions, and then produces an output.

4. How do you evaluate a composite function?

To evaluate a composite function, you need to substitute the input value into the innermost function and then work your way outwards, substituting the output of each function as the input for the next function until you reach the final output.

5. Can any two functions be combined to form a composite function?

No, not all functions can be combined to form a composite function. For a composite function to exist, the output of one function must match the input of the other function.