What Radius Produces Intensity Minimum?

In summary, the question asks for the minimum radius r needed for an intensity minimum to occur at the detector in a sound wave experiment where the wave travels through a straight portion and a semicircle before rejoining. This interference occurs when one path is half a wavelength longer than the other and results in cancellation of the waves. Although there are no identified equations, the solution can be found by considering the wave's path lengths and properties of interference.
tg22542

Homework Statement

In the figure, sound with a 38.0 cm wavelength travels rightward from a source and through a tube that consists of a straight portion and a semicircle. Part of the sound wave travels through the semicircle and then rejoins the wave that goes directly through the straight portion. This rejoining results in interference. What is the smallest radius r that produces an intensity minimum at the detector?

Also a picture: http://gyazo.com/68576b343c662325703528445328da23

Variables:

d (cm)
r (cm) - needed

Homework Equations

None (that I know of)

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly have no idea how to solve this, I feel like it is very simple and I am over thinking it. I cannot find any relevant equations, because I feel like I don't have enough information to even need an equation.

Can anyone point me in a better direction here please?

Physics news on Phys.org
an intensity minimum means that one path is ½ wavelength longer than the other path, so the 2 waves cancel.

Nvm, figured it out.

FAQ: What Radius Produces Intensity Minimum?

1. What is the formula for determining the radius of wavelength?

The formula for determining the radius of wavelength is r = λ/2π, where r is the radius and λ is the wavelength.

2. How is the radius of wavelength related to the frequency of a wave?

The radius of wavelength is inversely proportional to the frequency of a wave. This means that as the frequency increases, the radius decreases, and vice versa.

3. Can the radius of wavelength be negative?

No, the radius of wavelength cannot be negative. It is a physical quantity that represents distance and therefore cannot have a negative value.

4. What is the unit of measurement for the radius of wavelength?

In the SI system, the unit for the radius of wavelength is meters (m). However, it can also be expressed in other units such as centimeters (cm) or millimeters (mm) depending on the scale of the wave.

5. How is the radius of wavelength used in practical applications?

The radius of wavelength is a crucial parameter in various fields such as optics, acoustics, and electromagnetic waves. It is used to determine the size of objects, calculate diffraction patterns, and design antennas for wireless communication.

Back