What Region of Operation Is a BJT In Given These Terminal Voltages?

• Thread starter hogrampage
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bjt
In summary, the conversation discusses the operation of a BJT in different regions based on measured terminal voltages to ground. The regions include cutoff, saturation, and active. The specific voltages given in the conversation correspond to constant current, saturation, cutoff, and active regions. The concept may be difficult to understand due to the vague explanations in the textbook. However, by carefully analyzing the graph shown in the book, a correct determination of the regions can be made.
hogrampage

Homework Statement

The terminal voltages to ground are measured on a particular BJT. In what region does the device operate if these terminal voltages are equal to the following values:

a) Vc = 6V, Vb = 0.6V, Ve = 0V
b) Vc = 6V, Vb = 2V, Ve = 1.4V
c) Vc = 6V, Vb = 6V, Ve = 5.4V
d) Vc = 6V, Vb = 4V, Ve = 3.6V
e) Vc = 3.6V, Vb = 4V, Ve = 3.4V

Homework Equations

No idea which equations apply to this.

The Attempt at a Solution

I sort of just guessed because I honestly have no idea:

a) Cut-off
b) Constant current
c) Constant Current
d) Constant Current
e) Saturation

I don't know why, but I am having a hard time understanding some of the concepts in the book we are using (Microelectronic Circuits and Devices 2nd, Horenstein) so these problems are giving me trouble. The book seems to be really vague.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would first need to know how your text defines the different regions. Do they show a graph of i on the y-axis vs. Vce on the x-axis and then define the various regions?

Yes, they do I on y-axis and Vce on x-axis.

hogrampage said:
Yes, they do I on y-axis and Vce on x-axis.

Do they superimpose a piecewise-linear graph on top of one or more of the i-V curves? And is the family of curves for various values of Vbe or ib?

I've attached an image of the graph shown in the book.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 444
OK, so there are just three regions : cutoff, saturation and active.

So - how about looking carefully at the graph and making your decisions? BTW there are no numbers given on your graph but assume that "saturation" implies Vbe > Vce and "cutoff" implies Vbe < 0.6V. Make your choices & I'll help you if needed.

Keep in mind that all the voltages given are with respect to "ground". So for example in case (b), Vce = 6 - 1.4 = 4.6V, not 6V.

EDIT: not to spoil your day, but you got only 2 out of 5 right so far. :redface:

Last edited:
Here's what I came up with:

a) Constant current (Vce > Vbe)
b) Constant current (Vce > Vbe)
c) Saturation (Vce = Vbe)
d) Cutoff (Vbe < 0.6)
e) Saturation (Vce < Vbe)

Last edited:
OK except possibly for (c). I say "possibly" because here Vce = Vbe puts us right on the borderline between active and saturation. (Actually most people would consider that saturation.) So you have done well unless you were just lucky ...

Related to What Region of Operation Is a BJT In Given These Terminal Voltages?

1. What is the region of operation for a BJT?

The region of operation for a BJT (bipolar junction transistor) refers to the different modes in which the transistor can function. These modes are called the cut-off region, active region, and saturation region.

2. How does a BJT operate in the cut-off region?

In the cut-off region, both the base-emitter and base-collector junctions of the BJT are reverse biased, meaning that no current flows through the transistor. This effectively turns the transistor off, and it does not function as an amplifier.

3. What happens in the active region of a BJT?

In the active region, the base-emitter junction is forward biased, allowing a small current to flow from the emitter to the base. This causes a larger current to flow from the collector to the emitter, amplifying the input signal.

4. How does a BJT behave in the saturation region?

In the saturation region, both the base-emitter and base-collector junctions are forward biased, resulting in a large current flowing from the collector to the emitter. This effectively limits the output current and the BJT functions as a switch.

5. What determines the region of operation for a BJT?

The region of operation for a BJT is determined by the biasing of the base-emitter junction. If it is reverse biased, the BJT will be in the cut-off region. If it is forward biased, the BJT will be in either the active or saturation region, depending on the biasing of the base-collector junction.