What role plays chemistry in a physics career

In summary, the main difference between the three types of physics is that applied physics deals with problems that are similar to engineering problems, theoretical physics deals with problems that cannot easily be replicated in experiments, and experimental physics involves experiments that don't necessarily have practical applications.
toxique
Hi there, i am new to this forum, two questions...

1) what is the difference between physics areas: applied, classical, theortetical, quantum et al.

2) what role plays chemistry in a physics career, is it necessary to be really skilled in chemistry? sometimes thery overlapp

Thanks for the advice
Best regards.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I am a freshman at Uni. I cannot give you an in depth answer for the first one. [may be other mebers on this thread will come later?] but about the second question:

Well, the "skills" you need for chem are almost the same skills you need for physics: Handling mathematical equations, good algebra solving ...etc even it varies a little bit in how important each of these skills are in chem and phyis fields.

My experience tells me that they overlap in some places and it helps you know sometimes how chem look at the thingy to understand how phys look at it, For example gases PV=nRT is a famous topic that physics nad chem share, still. After a while they expaned the gases topics differenlty.

In short, taking a physics career will not require some body to "love" chem, and thus to take it.

Hi there

thanx moses for your reply

I was about to start a career in chem next year but decided for electronics instead.
(indeed i love and will miss chem but electr has to do more with my current job in IT)
Both of them share math, also phys but strangely with different topics. Sure, there are also plenty of phys-related topics scattered all over.
Which one of the careers has more of physics or applied-physics stuff ?
Did i take the right decision?

BTW: i love physics too :-)

toxique said:
1) what is the difference between physics areas: applied, classical, theortetical, quantum et al.

Applied physics : Problems that relate to practical situations in society, often similar to engineering. Typically, an applied physicist will spend time in a lab as well as use mathematical models for his system.

Theoretical physics : This involves both problems that cannot easily be reproduced in experimental conditions, as well as the developpment of new mathematical methods.

You may also want to mention Experimental Physics, which is somewhat in between, and involves experiments that don't nessecary translate to immediate practical problems.

Which of these you do basically depends on whether you prefer to spend your time in a lab or doing math, and whether you want to work directly for society or for the physics community.

As for the two major areas of physics:

Classical physics involves all the theories and models that were developped before the 20th century, and that continu to evolve.

Modern physics involves the two important 20th century theories : Quantum mechanics and Relativity. These are needed to model situations were dimension are extremelly small and speeds are extremely high. All classical theories have a modern counterpart which can be used when needed.

"Modern physics involves the two important 20th century theories : Quantum mechanics and Relativity"

In a sense relativistic mechanics is a classical theory as it does not include the uncertainty relations.

Hi brothers. Thanx a lot for your explanations
Happy 2005.

Related to What role plays chemistry in a physics career

1. What is the relationship between chemistry and physics?

The two fields of chemistry and physics are closely related and often overlap in their principles and theories. Chemistry is the study of matter and its properties, while physics is the study of energy and its properties. Many chemical reactions involve energy changes and can be explained using fundamental principles of physics.

2. How does chemistry impact a career in physics?

Chemistry plays a crucial role in a physics career in several ways. It provides a foundation for understanding the properties of matter and the behavior of particles, which are essential in many areas of physics. It also allows for the development of new materials and technologies, which are often used in physics experiments and research.

3. Can someone with a chemistry background pursue a career in physics?

Yes, a background in chemistry can provide a strong foundation for a career in physics. Many concepts and principles in chemistry are also applicable in physics, and having a strong understanding of both fields can be beneficial in pursuing a career in areas such as materials science, biophysics, or chemical physics.

4. How do chemistry and physics intersect in research?

In research, chemistry and physics often intersect in areas such as materials science, nanotechnology, and biophysics. For example, in the field of nanotechnology, chemists and physicists work together to design and create new materials with specific properties, such as superconductors or semiconductors, which are essential for many technological advancements.

5. What skills from studying chemistry are useful for a physics career?

Studying chemistry can provide a strong foundation in critical thinking, problem-solving, and experimental design, which are all essential skills for a career in physics. Additionally, having a background in chemistry can also be beneficial in understanding and applying mathematical principles, which are essential in many areas of physics.